1.5" Fuel fill hose 90 degree elbow or barbed union? Available? Can I use one?

adamjr

Petty Officer 1st Class
I wasn't sure if this should go in the engine specific forum or the resto forum.

I'm going to be installing a below deck fuel tank for my 120 Mercruiser in my '68 Holiday V. Last year I installed a new fill hose for the above deck steel tank which became a source of many problems. I decided to put in a below deck aluminum fuel tank to eliminate the rust issue. I had purchased the tank for my previous project on an OB boat and I had purchased enough fill hose for that project but that hose is just long enough to meet up with the fill hose for the previous tank if I could attach them both to a 90 degree elbow. I am guessing that it would need to be brass or stainless and it would definitely need to be barbed.

The important question is am I violating a safety reg by not using a continuous length of hose?

I did a search and came up empty. Can anyone turn me on to a link for a 1.5" barbed union or prefferably a a 1.5" barbed 45 or 90 elbow. 90 is the real preference but I'll settle for a 45.

Thanks in advance.

Adam

foodfisher

Captain
Re: 1.5" Fuel fill hose 90 degree elbow or barbed union? Available? Can I use one?

Re: 1.5" Fuel fill hose 90 degree elbow or barbed union? Available? Can I use one?

"The important question is am I violating a safety reg by not using a continuous length of hose?" Probably. For safety's sake, run a long enough hose. No breaks. I'd hate to fill a bilge with fuel due to a slipped joint.

mikecrof

Cadet

I am guessing that it would need to be brass or stainless and it would definitely need to be barbed.

The important question is am I violating a safety reg by not using a continuous length of hose?

I did a search and came up empty. Can anyone turn me on to a link for a 1.5" barbed union or prefferably a a 1.5" barbed 45 or 90 elbow. 90 is the real preference but I'll settle for a 45.

Adam

As to my personal opinion, I think I would err on the side of caution and go with what may be a best practice of using a continuous length of fill hose.

However, my personal experience is limited to my personal equipment, I do not work on boats of many makes and models, and don't know how most manufacturers choose to configure their fuel fill line. But, I don't recall any of the boat builder's reg's calling for a continuous length of fill hose. Only that they must be double clamped at each end at every fitting. You can research for yourself here: Boatbuilder's Handbook

Grainger industrial supply has these: ZURN PEX PEX Elbow, Barb, 1-1/2In - PEX Fittings - 10A516|QQE77GX - Grainger Industrial Supply but you would need to make sure that the fitting to hose tolerances meet USCG standards (see 183.558 of the manual).

You could also try McMaster-Carr, they seem to have just about every fiddly-bit every created.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

There is nothing illegal, unethical or problematic with splicing fuel lines with approved fittings (PEX fitting are not approved for use with anything other than PEX tubing) and installation precautions. Most fuel hose is designed for use with crimp fittings. Crimp fittings are large, expense and require a crimping machine to install. Certainly more than it cost to buy the proper length.

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

I don't see a problem with using the elbow, just make sure it's fuel rated and not going to react to gas. Double clamp the fittings and make sure there isn't any tension trying to pull things apart and you should be fine with your set up. After all, a filler hose isn't under pressure and doesn't have any standing fuel in it, only when filling.