Need a fiberglass Guru's Opinion

Volphin

Lieutenant
Hi Guys,

I have two items I need to permanently mount in my engine compartment... a water separating filter assy, and an overflow tank for my closed cooling system. I ran into a bit of snag. I thought I could just use coarse screws and drive them with some sealant on them into the fiberglass in my engine compartment. The screws will not bite. It feels like I'm hitting metal. Should I drill a pilot hole first? Or should I just glass in some studs?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need a fiberglass Guru's Opinion

Pre-Drill and check the shavings. What kind of boat?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

First idea that comes to mind is if you could just glass in a small block of wood to drive the fasteners into...and then drill some pilot holes and definitely use some sealant...

Volphin

Lieutenant

Pre-Drill and check the shavings. What kind of boat?

It's an 89 Regal Sebring 195, 4.3L A1. Here's a pic of the engine bay facing starboard. I have the coolant tank mounted with zip ties until I sort out this issue. But where you see the tank is where the water separation filter is going to mount. The port side will hold the coolant tank.

Attachments

• Repowered 4.3L.jpg
    Repowered 4.3L.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Let us know what the shaving reveal after you pre-drill. GT1M's suggestions of Epoxying on some mounting Plates might work if you have the room. Pics of the specific area where you are wanting to mount these items and the shavings details will give us added info to help guide you further.

Volphin

Lieutenant

Let us know what the shaving reveal after you pre-drill. GT1M's suggestions of Epoxying on some mounting Plates might work if you have the room. Pics of the specific area where you are wanting to mount these items and the shavings details will give us added info to help guide you further.

Thanks everyone! I'll be posting up some pics soon. But I'm headed to the lake tomorrow. It's the first non raining weekend in 90 days, and by gosh, I'm THERE. LOL