Circuit Breaker Problem

firemedicjoe

Cadet
I was wondering if anybody has the same issue with their circuit breaker.

When putting my boat in the water, before i can start it i have to reset the circuit breaker. when i'm in the water there is no problem. Is just the "bouncing down the road" causing this? It's not a huge problem, just wondering if i have a bad circuit breaker.

hivoltg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Circuit Breaker Problem

It sounds like a bad breaker if nothing is turned on when its tripping. Is it the spring loaded mercruiser 50amp red breaker? They cost about $60 to replace.

You could have a hot wire somewhere grounding as it swings around while on the trailer. It would probably happen on the water tho if that was the case.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I've never seen a breaker trip unless it is tripped electrically. That means you have something that is shorting while the boat is being trailered.

firemedicjoe

Cadet

The only thing that trips is the starter, everything else works. Lights blower radio, etc

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The only thing that trips is the starter, everything else works. Lights blower radio, etc

That is because there are two electrical systems on the boat. It is the engine system that popped. Accessories are in the boat system.

fixnfly

Seaman Apprentice

As Hivoltg said... Ive seen breakers go bad due to the spring getting weak.

stratcat88

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is because there are two electrical systems on the boat. It is the engine system that popped. Accessories are in the boat system.
mercruiser. had same problem. turned out to be wire on starter loose on post and shorting out on engine block.