Lund Tyee + 100 hp Mercury = ? Stainless prop

58 Alumacraft

Seaman Apprentice
Trying to find the best Stainless prop for my 93 Lund Tyee 1650 powered with 92 Mercury 100.

I tried to use a prop calculator but I'm not sure what the gear ratio is on the Merc. It does have a 14 sticker on the lower unit...what does that mean? Right now it has a 17 pitch Mercury aluminum prop and is running 5800 RPM at 40 MPH. What would be the best Stainless prop for this boat/motor combo? The boat is used for general fishing and pulling the kids on tubes/skis etc.

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lund Tyee + 100 hp Mercury = ? Stainless prop

Per my records, the 92 merc 100 shares the same gears with the 115 and 125 4 cyl inline at 2.07:1. The 14 probably refers to the pinion gear (on the drive shaft in the lower unit) of 14 teeth with the Forward gear having 29 for your 2.07 ratio. On the baby brother, like my 90, the pinion is 13 teeth to 30 for the F gear for a ratio of 2.33:1.

The manual shows the upper limit for WOT rpms is 5250. I don't personally pay much attention to that but some folks live by it religiously. After 50+ years of boating, especially all the years running Mercs, I run mine where it likes to run. With that said, my upper limit is 5500 and I am propped to run 5700-5800.

There are several "best" SS props and everyone seems to have their own opinion. I mean if it works for me, why not say so sort of thing. The BAM prop slip calculator says that you are running about 15% slip at 40 which isn't bad for an alum prop, actually not bad for any prop on a moderate planing boat and load.

You need to prop for the kids on skis and tubes and just control your rpms when lightly loaded. A SS prop is usually cupped for grip, high rake for bow lift which decreases wetted area, reducing drag, and has thin blades which are highly efficient. So you can expect increased rpms for a given pitch over a stock alum prop but if it is not cupped like the SS usually are, you will loose some of those rpms....but the cupping is like adding 1" of pitch at WOT so you will go faster at a given rpm.

Assume you are already using your boat for what you said. Don't know what your rpms are when pulling the kids. If 5800 is where you run the most then I think you could use a 19P SS which might put your WOT rpms at around 5200-5300 and speed would be slightly faster as the slip would be reduced and efficiency increases. People like the Solas and they sell them on here.

HTH,
Mark

58 Alumacraft

Seaman Apprentice

Alright Mark, good info.....thank you!!

58 Alumacraft

Seaman Apprentice

How about the Laser II Mercury prop, any good?