Finally after years of consideration

jagojay

Recruit
Well first off lemme say I've been poking around for a while, but never really owned a boat. That being said I was kinda wondering. since I plan to rustoleum paint my boat, what do people with boats they can't flip over or really support easily do?

At first I planned on just painting around the rollers and the after all the curing time let the boat down a little and paint where they were, but the more I think about it the more that seems like too much to go wrong.

jagojay

Recruit
Re: Finally after years of consideration

Well, I left a paragraph out of my planned first post, but too tired to go back and fix it all

But to add - thanks in advance!

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

if you don't flip it or remove it from the trailer, then painting around the rollers then moving it back to paint where the rollers were, seems to be the only option:noidea:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Depending on the size of the boat...
You can lift it off the rollers or do as "coolbri70" said...
If you are going to use Rustoleum, make sure to use the hardener for it...
Here is a real good link that should give you all the details...
http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...lly-started-w-pics-384982-10.html#post3302799
Take some pics and post 'em up of your project...we'd love to see it!
Best of Luck,
GT1M:)

pckeen

Commander

Welcome to iboats.

There are a number of options for painting it - take a look at jasoutside's thread on rebuilding his starcraft islander. He came up with some good ways to paint the bottom without a full flip.

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

build a couple of wood gantrys lift it off the trailer pull the trailer out and paint it on your back then when its dry put the trailer back under it and set it back under the trailer.

jagojay

Recruit

Sorry took me a lil to get back XD between sleepiness and work it's been a long day, yeah my question was pretty much supposed to read along the lines of how to go about not breaking my back getting this done to a 26' that weights around 6k. Guess there was a lot more in that missing paragraph than I thought.

So far the easing it down rollers with the trailer on the truck seems like the best and laziest option available to me. Doesn't have to look 100% at least. Last thing I did this to was an 85 Fiero, was a nice learning point. Gonna paint my gfs car as a "getting back into the groove" type deal first.

The other concern I had was with painting the bottom. I've been reading around here all week, reading a lot about anti-fouling paints and such... I read a lot of "if your boat is trailered and doesn't spend more than a couple days anti-fouling isn't needed" and "anti-fouling is mostly for boats that stay in the water all season" etc etc. But what if I wanted to spend a week or two a tad off shore? If I clean it after removale would it be ok, or clean it every week in the water until I remove it?

I'll definatly be throwing up pictures, she's not the prettiest, and def being a Renken from what I read isn't "quality" but for the price I paid, a solid hull design I like, a has tank without holes, good rear, stringers that check out ok and no evidence of foam issues I couldn't resist!

Only picture I have of her right now, though more to come. But geez the story's I already have just by picking her up.

BBhq0jR.jpg

Last edited: