What was it that you can spray the bunks ....

old boat 54

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I read here some time ago, something to spray on carpeted bunks to make it easier to load small fiberglass boat.
I know you can purchase at boat store, but someone else used something less expensive.
Also, opinions on the bolt on bunk glides that go over carpet to make loading /unloading easier ?
Thanks for any input ......

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: What was it that you can spray the bunks ....

silicone spray lube... let bunks dry fully before applying and again before dunking

Also armor all works ok but doesn't seem to last as long

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I was amazed at how much of a difference silicone spary made. For a few bucks, it was a huge improvement!

UncleWillie

Captain

I initially used Slydz-ON ($15) it worked great.
I just ran out after two years of applying it every half dozen outings or so.

I just re-waterproofed the boat cover using Kiwi-Camp Dry(Green Can).
A 20 foot cover used 2 1/2 cans at $6 each from the shoe department at Walmart.

It is just a silicon spray. I sprayed some on the bunks the last time out and it worked even better!.
Even neater was when I noticed as I parked the trailer,
the water was beading up on the bunks and the carpet was not even wet!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I recently sprayed armor all (cause that's what I had handy) on the bunks of my double jetski trailer.... works too good.... even with the engines running they slide backwards off of the trailer.... makes trying to climb on after unhooking the winch really annoying....

I also just put bunk slicks on another trailer for my Jet'n'Cat... not nearly as slick as the spray on stuff

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have used silicone spray and slydz on spray. To me I feel the slydz works better. Anything is a great improvement over non treated carpeted bunks. For those that haven't ever added any spray... the results are night and day. Biggest improvement was launching... don't have to back trailer in as far and boat backs right off with just selecting reverse.

Mason78

Petty Officer 1st Class

I recently sprayed armor all (cause that's what I had handy) on the bunks of my double jetski trailer.... works too good.... even with the engines running they slide backwards off of the trailer.... makes trying to climb on after unhooking the winch really annoying....

I completely agree. I thought it made loading/unloading the boat more difficult. I little friction can be a good thing!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I'll still use it but more sparingly on the skis... My 30'er needs all the slick it can get for the steep ramp I use it on

agallant80

Commander

I bought a can of liquid roller. It works great. Night and day difference. I have had to apply it twice this year so far. I think the can will last 2-3 seasons.

Mason78

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does that work well? I have considered trying that stuff on my cover.

NYBo

Admiral

I was amazed at how much of a difference silicone spary made. For a few bucks, it was a huge improvement!
This was my experience also. I could almost turn the winch with one finger.

bassman284

Commander

I also just put bunk slicks on another trailer for my Jet'n'Cat... not nearly as slick as the spray on stuff

Just have to put a little more power to it to keep it in place, depending how steep your ramp is. I have a roller trailer so I'm used to that.

UncleWillie

Captain

Does that work well? I have considered trying that stuff on my cover.

Works great!
Water beads up and runs off like Rain-X on the windshield.

KiwiCampDryOnCover.jpg

P.S. Also works on the windshield almost as good as Rain-X.
On the plus side, it is not as streaky.

Last edited:

robert graham

Admiral

If you use this silicone/slickum/whatever on your bunks, be sure not to detach your bow tie-down line until you're Really ready for the boat to slide into the water....I've heard some stories about boats sliding off prematurely on steep ramps!....just a thought!...

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

I bought a can at Ace Hardware to put on my canvas top. It has not been out in the rain again since. Thought I'd mention Ace as I have not been in Wally World in decades.

UncleWillie

Captain

If you use this silicone/slickum/whatever on your bunks, be sure not to detach your bow tie-down line until you're Really ready for the boat to slide into the water....I've heard some stories about boats sliding off prematurely on steep ramps!....just a thought!...

I routinely back off the winch one turn so the admiral has an easier time unhooking the winch strap at the bottom of the ramp as I drive the truck.
She reports that the boat almost always sides off the bow stop and occasionally is tight against the winch strap.
The winch strap and the safety cable are always still attached so it can only slide a few inches before being stopped.

I only mention this to confirm that launching the boat onto the concrete is almost a given if you remove the straps before you get to the water.

Last edited: