gas vs diesel

boomer49

Recruit
i know its an age old question, but i'm looking at a 1987 SILVERTON 34, W/REBUILDS W50 HRS. 5.7L, EXCELLENT CONDITION. AND A SIMILAR YEAR VIKING34 3208'S WITH 1000 HRS. WHAT ARE MY AVERAGE FUEL MILEAGES ON BOTH SAY WEST PALM TO BIMINI?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: gas vs diesel

Diesels will ALWAYS give better fuel economy than petrols, given the same operating conditions. ie, same hull, same load, same weather conditions....

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Chris is bang on about diesels. However, they require a lot more maintenance and are more susceptible to contaminants in a marine environment.
Marine Diesel Fuel Contamination Problems & Solutions

I always bang on about diesels... :D :D :D

Not sure they need more maintenance, just more frequent oil changes, yes. And yes about the fuel issues, but good filters and buying fuel from known good sources should keep those problems at bay....

Last edited:

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer

Diesels will outlast gas engines by a wide margin. And are safer in marine environment.

Bondo

Staff member

I always bang on about diesels... :D :D :D

Not sure they need more maintenance, just more frequent oil changes, yes. And yes about the fuel issues, but good filters and buying fuel from known good sources should keep those problems at bay....

Ayuh,.... If anything Diesels require Less maintenance, but Yes, Clean fuel is Important to Both, gasoline, 'n diesel,...

r.j.dawg

Ensign

I'l explain why I stated they require more maintenance. If the op is going to be travelling frequently from West Palm Beach to the Bimini Islands then the diesel power is the perfect choice. Fuel economy and that is how diesels like to be run. However, if like a lot of boaters, the op only makes say one trip per year to Bimini and then just putts around the rest of the time, then diesels are a poor choice.

Diesel engines should not be run at low speeds for either long or short periods, and then shut down. The problem is that they build up carbon in the cylinders at low speeds; they need to be run, long and hard to burn out that carbon after slow speed running. If not, then carbon builds up in the ring grooves of the pistons and will eventually cause the rings to stick. To prevent this, very frequent oil changes are needed.

agallant80

Commander

I ran on diesel boats (47 foot range) for about 10 years. The diesel did not require nearly the amount of maintance that my mercruiser petrol does. Yeah you have to be a bit more dilligant about oil changes and fuel filter changes but at least Diesel fumes don't explode.

Diesel lasts longer, fuel vapors do not explode, gets better economy. On the down side, you have to be more dilligant about filters and oil changes, if it does break it will cost mega $$$, and depending on where you are Diesel can cost more per gallon than petrol.

Last edited: