Looking for White Cleats

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
I have been looking for white cleats for a while now. Plastic or otherwise. Anyone come across a supplier that carries them? They are for my boat, so 4 to 6 inch size is good.

TAV MAN

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Looking for White Cleats

Mark this is tav man. I'm new here on this forum and I like the pictires of your boat. I'v have an<br />idea. What if you fine some old ones laying around and have them powered coated white

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

Just because your boat looks too good NOT to have em....I found this...I hope it is what you are looking for... (don't tell my boss I wasn't working for the past 2 hours!)<br /><br /> Colored Boat Cleats <br /><br />-JustMrWill

Realgun

Commander

Mark get some old rusty cleats and clean then up with sandpaper and have them powdercoated white.<br /><br />Personally i like the Chrome or polished type myself. Rember the gas tank lid you did go Chrome I believe? :D

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Mark, just saw a set of 4 new 6" white nylon cleats up for auction on Ebay with 3 days left. Auction number is 4566423281. Sellers feedback may be questionable though.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Thanks willamettejeff! <br /><br />Those are the ones I'm looking for. It's hard to find them in white. 6" might be too big for my boat, maybe I can find them in 4".

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

Mark, I have the same style 6" cleats on my 14' runabout boat and they seem just the right size to me. I bought chrome ones because I like them bright and shiney and I don't boat in saltwater. :)

p12

Seaman Apprentice

FWIW:<br />I don't like my 4" cleats, i'd much rather have a 6 incher.... i feel a bit inferior :eek: <br /><br />i find I fill up the 4" cleat when tied off with more than on line on the cleat (spring line, bumper, whatever)..of course i'm a rookie so probably not handling my line well.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I was able to order the 5" in white made by Sea-Dog. They are inexpensive so I ordered two extra in case they break. But nylon is rather tough stuff, and my boat is not too big. These will get through bolted where the ones that are there now are just screwed on. I like these better than the set on ebay because they have the open base for holding in sealer.<br /><br />
seadogcleat.jpg

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Mark42:<br /> I was able to order the 5" in white made by Sea-Dog.
Don't leave us hangin' - where'd you find them?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I called BoatUS and they put in the custom order to Sea-Dog. Other places would do it too, but BoatUS was willing to break up the minimum order amount and sell me what I needed. The white do not come in display rack card packages. They only come in mult-piece bags. Guess the white is typically ordered by boat builders and not sold in stores.<br /><br />Seachoice, SeaSense (Unified Marine) and Master Tool Co all make Black Nylon cleats, but only Sea Dog makes them in white (at least that I could find in their product lists/part numbers).<br /><br />BTW they came to $2.90 each (0.50 more than black) plus estimated shipping was $7. Also charged me sales tax. <br /><br />Cheaper than stainless and for my use will hold up as well and will definitely outlive the "Die cast zinc chrome plated" crap. The chrome jumps right off that stuff when it smells the salt air. Why make hardware on your boat out of the same stuff that the sacrificial zincs are made from?<br /><br />One more thing... The white deck hardware on my boat (navigation lights, transom light, mooring bit and front chock) are all cast aluminum that were originally done in powder coat. Forty years later the powder coat was coming off. I stripped/cleaned them and painted with epoxy paint. They are holding up well. The cleats are chrome zinc that were sanded and painted with same epoxy paint at the same time as the rest. They lasted one season and the chrome under the paint is pealing off and the zinc is fuzzy. That is why I ordered the white nylon. I don't need unnecessary maintenance.<br /><br />Thanks to all for looking for me. Justmrwill, I will keep your secret!