Blown head gasket?

LAndrus

Petty Officer 3rd Class
A couple of week ago while trying to sort out my cooling issue, which is still not working, the motor backfired a couple of times and blew smoke from around the bottom of the powerhead. Now smoke comes from the back of the powerhead and there is an oily residue around the area of the head gasket on the left side of the motor as shown in the picture. IMG281.jpg I'm thinking it might be a blown head gasket or the gasket that sits under the powerhead and on top of the spacer plate. Which would you think it would be?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Blown head gasket?

Most likely a base plate gasket gone bad. However, I would check the head gasket while your at it. You will need to soak the head bolts in pb blaster, or wd40 for a couple of days. I have never seen ones as corroded as yours, and they should be removed with care.
If it was your head gasket, there would be compression loss and or water in a cylinder.

Your cooling issue might be explained by the corrosion on the motor. I bet your block is full of salt water deposits. Once you pull the head, you will be able to see if there is excessive buildup. Also, when is the last time you replaced the water pump impeller?

LAndrus

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Blown head gasket?

Most likely a base plate gasket gone bad. However, I would check the head gasket while your at it. You will need to soak the head bolts in pb blaster, or wd40 for a couple of days. I have never seen ones as corroded as yours, and they should be removed with care.
If it was your head gasket, there would be compression loss and or water in a cylinder.

I thought it might be the base plate gasket, although it was replaced this summer.

Your cooling issue might be explained by the corrosion on the motor. I bet your block is full of salt water deposits. Once you pull the head, you will be able to see if there is excessive buildup. Also, when is the last time you replaced the water pump impeller?

I replaced the entire water pump assembly this summer when I had the powerhead removed for a swivel kingpin and water inlet tube replacement. So I'm not really sure why water isn't getting any water...I have a complete thread about my cooling issues going already. The pump worked until I pulled the powerhead. See my cooling thread.