Tilt Pump Motor Got Water In It...

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
My motor is a 1994 70hp. My tilt system is a single ram with a 2 wire pump motor. The boat/motor has been sitting for about 3 years. In that time, the tilt was occasionally cycled as we would raise and lower the motor and crank it up for a few minutes.

In recent days, I began working on the boat again and noticed the tilt wouldn't work. The motor was barely turning and was intermittent and weak sounding. I checked the fill cap and saw that the transmission fluid had turned almost milky and had a lot of water in it. I removed the motor and drained the system and cleaned it out and reinstalled and added fresh fluid. It sounds a little better but still not good. Best I can describe is that it sounded weak maybe like it was binding. Now I can't remember for sure but I think back before we let it sit, it had gotten water in it before and I had removed the pump and resealed the lid and the cap where the wires go in with an automotive gasket maker. In hindsight that wasn't a good move I guess. And now I think the water got it around the cap where the wires go into the pump. Also, I have not yet cut the power wires and wired directly to the battery....so that could be an issue as well but seeing as how it had a lot of water in it, I'm betting it's a mechanical problem and not an electrical one.

What steps should I take to try to fix this or am I just screwed and either going to have to buy a new pump or live without power tilt??? Any chance it is just electrical connections rusted over from the water or are the internals rusted out like I believe?

RRitt

Captain
Re: Tilt Pump Motor Got Water In It...

take the motor off and see if it works by itself. water usually ruins the bearings or magnets first.

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer

take the motor off and see if it works by itself. water usually ruins the bearings or magnets first.

Ok, I'll try that out this weekend as well as wiring it straight to battery as I'm not sure that is not where part of the problem lies.

BTW, if the bearings and magnets are what's bad, where do you find the correct replacement parts?

RRitt

Captain

Ok, I'll try that out this weekend as well as wiring it straight to battery as I'm not sure that is not where part of the problem lies.

BTW, if the bearings and magnets are what's bad, where do you find the correct replacement parts?

the motor is not worth fixing. just buy another off ebay or amazon for $150 and be done with it. if salty, brackish, acidic, ormineral water then spray the motor down with a few coats of plasti-seal.