Looking at Tahoe deck boats

themaxxx

Cadet
I've been looking for a boat big enough for the entire family with enough power for playing on the water. And room to relax . I saw the Tahoe 215xi at bass pro shops ... With 260 hp... Does anyone know about Tahoe boats.. Is the deck boat worth 40000$... ????

My wife and I just 2 days ago were looking at a Tahoe 215xi and seriously considering it. The boat is nicely appointed regarding accessories, storage, overall layout, hp, etc...and it looks sharp. We then went and looked at a similar bayliner (size and price), nice looking, but not nearly as well appointed. Once we mentioned Tahoe to that salesman, man did he go on a neg. Tahoe rant...so now Im doing my research and wondering myself. We're prepared to spend $45000 and want to spend it well. Any replies or opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Looking at Tahoe deck boats

Hmm - what happened to my post?

Edit - I see, Mod created a new post

I was looking around at some of the Tahoe and Bayliner current year runabouts, previously I would have said that the Bayliners were nicer - but for the current ones I would give the edge to Tahoe. I think that they have been "dumbing down" the appointments in Bayliners for the past few years so that they can justify the premium that they are trying to charge for the SeaRays of the same size. The seat coverings especially were very thin and poor on the Bayliner when compared to the Tahoe, or my 05 bayliner (actually didn't think much of the seats in the searay either)

Last edited by a moderator:

QC

Supreme Mariner

Your post is still on the other thread. I moved the OP's to this new one, and now I can't move yours here . . . :confused: Working on it.

Edit: Weird, can't fix it. Was doing a C and P as you did. Deleting the old post and maybe this thread can live its own life . . .

Last edited:

agallant80

Commander

For 45K you can get most anything you like. Does it have to be a deck boat? What size do you want? What are you going to use it for(fishing, water sports, crusinging around)

QC

Supreme Mariner

Understood. I said, that's what I would do . . . :) Define "deck boat" . . . If a SeaRay Sundeck is a "deck boat" then I am still on target.

oldjeep

Admiral

Understood. I said, that's what I would do . . . :) Define "deck boat" . . . If a SeaRay Sundeck is a "deck boat" then I am still on target.

Typically a deckboat has the wraparound couch style seating (like the 215xi he is looking at) - personally I wouldn't consider a Sundeck a deckboat. Looks like a bowrider with a slightly square nose.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Agreed ^^^^^

I struggle with more typical "deck boats" as most of them have very low deadrise. Like 16 degrees or less. I wouldn't be happy with the associated ride unless I was on a smallish river. Even then they can beat you up pretty bad. Of course I am imposing my likes/dislikes on the OP, but that's what we do here, right?

britisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just my 5 yens but what about the Yamaha SX240H at $48999 MSRP or the 212SS @ 45099 MSRP. Both could be got for below that $45K budget. More room on the Yamaha than a traditional bow rider and on a par with a 'deckboat space wise. My own boat is a mature SR 180 BR, but if I had the cash for a new boat, the Yamaha's would be up there at or near top. Their 240 Limited at $54K is sublime and loads of space. At a trade show i went to, was on the boat. Another couple were serious about the limited and they knew it could handle Bahamas and back from FL no probs.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I would say if shallow water was a concern then the Yammies are awesome. I still don't think I'd go that way without some propelleritis issue. I love their quality, and simplicity, but I still like chopping stuff up . . .

cobra1476

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I was looking for one, I narrowed it down to Starcraft and Hurricane. Both were almost identical.

I ended up with the Starcraft. I got a better deal.

I've had it for 4 or 5 years now and we have used and abused it. Have had ZERO issues. thing handles well in any situation also. As long as you know how to drive.

themaxxx

Cadet

For 45K you can get most anything you like. Does it have to be a deck boat? What size do you want? What are you going to use it for(fishing, water sports, crusinging around)

we have a Searay cuddy cabin, which I love, from a driving/ride and overall looks point of view AND when its just me and my first (and last LOL) mate, its great. However, as you likely know, somehow all your relatives find at your heading out and they start inviting themselves through the "power of suggestion" and next thing I know I have a full crew......all in the rear of the boat since its not a bow rider/deck boat....so in effect, only half the boat is enjoyed so to speak. So it doesn't have to be a deck boat, but rather a "full open" type. Just happened to be at BPS checking out boats and zeroed in the Tahoe because of the number of seats, openness and really liked the foredeck w/ladder and fishing chairs.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Which SeaRay model? See my deadrise comments. My guess is you are used to a good riding boat ;)

cobra1476

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Agreed ^^^^^

I struggle with more typical "deck boats" as most of them have very low deadrise. Like 16 degrees or less. I wouldn't be happy with the associated ride unless I was on a smallish river. Even then they can beat you up pretty bad. Of course I am imposing my likes/dislikes on the OP, but that's what we do here, right?

Lol! Not true. Really depends on the boat of choice.

Although, I can tell you Tahoes are very flat.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Not a fan of any jet boat unless looking at very shallow and flat water. Bayliner is tied for last place with the jets. So many good boats to choose from,,, expand your horizons!

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Once we mentioned Tahoe to that salesman, man did he go on a neg. Tahoe rant...so now Im doing my research and wondering myself. We're prepared to spend $45000 and want to spend it well. Any replies or opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

That is an absolute no no in sales and throwing rocks in the glass house from the salesman's point...
An educated sales person could tell you the difference in products rather bring down the other to make his look good, and Bayliners have a bit of a stigma to still get over.... You were right to cross shop.

For 45K, SOOO many pre-owned high quality few year old decks to choose from, I'd be looking at a Sea Ray Sun-deck, Regal, Chaparral exc... You might even have money left over.

oldjeep

Admiral

That is an absolute no no in sales and throwing rocks in the glass house from the salesman's point...
An educated sales person could tell you the difference in products rather bring down the other to make his look good, and Bayliners have a bit of a stigma to still get over.... You were right to cross shop.

For 45K, SOOO many pre-owned high quality few year old decks to choose from, I'd be looking at a Sea Ray Sun-deck, Regal, Chaparral exc... You might even have money left over.

Searay - in the smaller boats you are paying for the name and that is about it.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Lol! Not true. Really depends on the boat of choice.
Still trying to figure out what you are LOL'ing about? Deadrise and ride association?

jkust

Rear Admiral

Maybe take a look at the Chaparral Sunestas. I've never been a fan of any deck boats but you can get them cheap and they are a decent build. For that budget, I'd almost certainly go slightly used. Trouble I had way back when I got my sig boat very slightly used is everyone had loans on them and couldn't'/wouldn't do a short sale/heavily negotiate. I guess I'm assuming people are still financing their boats.