Bringing a boat to Clearwater from Ft. Lauderdale

brad614

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We are picking up our new to us boat (Carver Mariner 350) this weekend in the Ft. Lauderdale area and will be bringing it back to the Clearwater area. We have changed our original plans and have decided to go through the Keys instead of the Okeechobee canal. Any input, suggestions, or warnings? Once we leave Marathon Key and head towards the coast, how far offshore will we be? Will we still be able to see the coastline? Anything special to see along the way? How long should we plan on? We will be staying on the boat at marinas along the way. I have a chartplotter, radar, Navionics on a tablet as a backup to the chartplotter, one fixed and one handheld VHF radio, all necessary USCG gear, and the current Dozier's Waterway Guide. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bringing a boat to Clearwater from Ft. Lauderdale

Uh, can you please take me with you? Congrats and enjoy the new Carver, nice craft.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Bringing a boat to Clearwater from Ft. Lauderdale

The ICW thru the Keys keeps you pretty close to the land, but there are some areas where you'll venture out further because of the coral and shallow water (you won't lose sight of land). You have all of the proper navigational tools. Bring plenty of food and water as well as foul weather gear. File a float plan with family or friends and plan on 75-100 miles a day, weather permitting. My personal thought would be to go without a schedule of making a certain point as you don't want to over run the boat and risk damages, as well as you might find cool things to do along the way. Stop in Islamorada to see the Theater of the Seas attraction. Stop in Big Pine for some river front dining. Stop in Key West at the Mallory Square area. I wish I was going along....