Looking for my first boat!

Hey guys I'm looking at buying a boat, but as a college kid my budget is limited (around $4,000)! I have found a few older wellcraft boats in my area and I was wondering if they were a good boat. One of them is a 1985 210xl buddy, one is a 1983 20' open bow and the final one is a 1984 21' Scarab (1984 wellcraft scarab 21 foot with a cuddy 350 chevy.hp cam,aluminum intake in Powerboats & Motorboats | eBay Motors) This one is my favorite, but I am fairly new to the boating world and have no idea if these boats would make a good boat for me! :lol: So if you guys had any input or advice for me about the boats or what to look out for when I go to look at one that would be great! Thanks in advance!

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Looking for my first boat!

Welcome to iBoats . . .

Wellcraft is an OK boat. However, at the age of boat that you are looking, the actual condition of the boat is what really matters. So, you are going to have to do some investigation into the condition of the internal structure of the boat, the engine/outdrive, etc. Structural rot and engine issues are the big things that come to mind.

Lots to consider. If you have some friends that are familiar with the details of boats, you may want to bring them along for anything that you look at.

Also, with any boat that you consider purchasing, make sure that there is proper documentation, i.e. the owner has title in hand for the boat and trailer, etc. Watch out for eBay stuff in that regard.

Last edited:

Welcome to iBoats . . .

Wellcraft is an OK boat. However, at the age of boat that you are looking, the actual condition of the boat is what really matters. So, you are going to have to do some investigation into the condition of the internal structure of the boat, the engine/outdrive, etc. Structural rot and engine issues are the big things that come to mind.

Lots to consider. If you have some friends that are familiar with the details of boats, you may want to bring them along for anything that you look at.

Also, with any boat that you consider purchasing, make sure that there is proper documentation, i.e. the owner has title in hand for the boat and trailer, etc. Watch out for eBay stuff in that regard.

Thanks for the advice! The scarab boat is located about 2 hours away so I would drive out and test the boat before I bought it. Are there any ways to tell how the internal structure of the boat is during an inspection?

tpenfield

Staff member

Thanks for the advice! The scarab boat is located about 2 hours away so I would drive out and test the boat before I bought it. Are there any ways to tell how the internal structure of the boat is during an inspection?

There is percussion testing using a plastic hammer and also there are moisture meters to check for high moisture content, etc.

BTW - the eBay ad says it has been ended by the seller . . .

Last edited:

There is percussion testing using a plastic hammer and also there are moisture meters to check for high moisture content, etc.

BTW - the eBay ad says it has been ended by the seller . . .

Its still up for sale locally