e40elcde Dead in the water - Help??!!

sqlhawkn

Cadet
Motor has been running fine all summer. Fired it up in the driveway before heading out and noticed that it sounded like it was running on both cylinders. It would idle really low then rev back up to where it sounded like it should. Put it in the water and rode around for a while and it continued and then finally cut off.....never to crank up again. It would turn over but wasn't getting any spark. Plugs and wires are good. Carbs are clean. Good gas/oil.

I unplugged the big red harness plug that goes from the boat battery to motor. Noticed some corrosion on the prongs and knocked it out. Plugged back together and now there is NOTHING. No power to the motor at all. Is there an easy way to bypass the harness?

Or any other suggestions??

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: e40elcde Dead in the water - Help??!!

Yep keep wiring harness unplugged.
Run a jumper from batt positive to small positive on solenoid. Touching it will start the starter. To kill the motor you will need to starve it or pull the plug wires

sqlhawkn

Cadet

Before I unplugged the harness I could turn the motor over but had no spark at all. I'm sure I can bypass this harness but before messing with the harness...I pulled the spark plug wires and there was NO spark.......any ideas where to go with this one?

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Pull the wiring harness and try and start it or find the black/yellow kill wire and disconnect it.
Both methods will remove the kill wire out of operation and may bring back spark.

sqlhawkn

Cadet

Well.......
Unplugged the harness and ran power to the solenoid and got nothing.

What is the deal?

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Did the starterr turn?
if not check your battery and motor grounds and cables

sqlhawkn

Cadet

Motor work is not my cup of tea............Going to need to charge up the battery since it was almost drained.
Tried again - this time the motor did turn over like it should by running power to the solenoid both with and without the harness plugged up. I didn't notice any difference either way. There was still no spark in motor.
What should I look to rule out next? Coils? Power pack?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Before you start buying parts, go to the CDI electronics website, look up your engine and use their troubleshooting guide to help you find your problem.