1986 Bayline Trophy with Volvo Penta AQ125A

CTreacy

Recruit
I have a slight situation. I have a 1986 Bayliner Trophy with a Volvo Penta AQ125A 4 cylinder engine. I had it running a few weeks ago and Last week I went to start it and it is just turning over. There is between a 1/4 and 1/2 tank of 1 year old gas. I can pour a little gas down in the carburetor and it will run for a few seconds. I have disconnected the line going from the fuel pump to the carburetor and i am not getting any fuel out of the carburetor side of the fuel pump.

This may sound like a stupid question, but with me not getting any fuel on the carburetor side of the fuel pump, does that mean the fuel pump is shot? Is there any way to test the fuel pump. When I have it off the motor, the arm that rides on the cam only moves up and down about a 1/8 - 1/4 inch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Clyde

snobdr

Seaman
Re: 1986 Bayline Trophy with Volvo Penta AQ125A

Most likely if its not pumping its shot

captmello

Captain

28 year old pump...While your at it, you may want to check the fuel filter, if you have one. I would suggest installing a fuel/water seperating filter between the fuel tank and the pump if you don't have one.

Welcome.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

First pull the antisiphon valve from the tank.
Make sure the little ball in the fitting isin't stuck.
Then make sure the fuel line isin't soft and collapsing.
Then the pull the line off the carb and try to turn it over and see if it pumps.
Try a fuel pump pressure tester?
Don't make the mistake of installing an automotive electrical fuel pump.
It's like adding a bomb to your bildge.
They sell an auto/mechnical pump too.It's not marine rated.
All else fails? Get the Volvo one.

CTreacy

Recruit

There is not a fuel filter or fuel water separator. Unless there is a small screen filter at the carb that I can not see...

Does the anti- siphon valve screw right into the tank and pick up tube?

captmello

Captain

I would add a fuel/water seperating filter between the tank and the pump. You can pick them up at any marine store.
the antisiphon is where you say, the fuel line hooks to it.