Need help diagnosing outdrive problem

gregslib

Recruit
hello and thanks in advance for your help, I have an 87 liberator with twin 350 alpha 1 gen 1 drives, last weekend i hit a log or something and the boat will go in gear forward and reverse, operates fine at slow speeds, but when i try to get it on plane the engines rev up and the boat wont get up, like its a slipping clutch, done really mess with the interals of them so not surewhat could be the problem. boat is still in water so i cant really see anything, taking it out this weekend. I did shut off the engines when i hit it didnt see any fluid in water as if a case cracked. the props didnt have any damage either.

hivoltg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Need help diagnosing outdrive problem

Sounds like you have a spun prop hub. The inside of the prop breaks free to keep the drive from getting damage.

To test: Use a permanent marker and make a line on the prop and hub. Take it for a cruise and then check if your prop and hub line moved.

mercs4mark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Engine temp normal?

crazyinkc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Another vote for a spun prop hub.

gregslib

Recruit

sorry new to boating but where is the hub located to the prop, just not famailiar with parts lingo, learning as i replace, so far im learning alot haha, sounds like it would be the outside where the large nut is. And is it an expensive fix if you do it yourself. Like what parts are needed, thanks again for your help

slag

Chief Petty Officer

The hub is the rubber insert inside the propeller.

EDIT.. Actually, its the splined metal sleeve that goes over your prop shaft, plus the rubber insert.

Last edited:

The prop hub is part of the propeller. IF your's is spun, they can be fixed or replaced.

Replacing the entire prop that is.