2002 225hp Ficht Ram evaluation for purchase

jtecker

Cadet
Hi everyone. I apologize up front for the lenght of this post. I am considering purchasing a 2002 225hp Ficht Ram for my Mako 23. Just blew a piston on my old Merc 200 Blackmax. This would be my first Evinrude. Owner says the engine has only 402 hours. Owner bought a new 300 Yamaha 4-stroke for his 23 Seacraft in April this year. The Evinrude was winterized last fall and was never recommissioned this spring. It is not currently on a boat. All controls/cables/gauges come with the engine. Based on all of the research I've done on the Ficht history it appears the nightmare problems stopped in 2001 when OMC went bankrupt and BRP bought the brand. From this research it appears that from 2002-2004 the Ficht engines were solid and very fuel efficient, then the e-tecs came out in 2005.

So several questions for you Evinrude gurus out there:

1.Do you agree that a 2002 225hp Ficht is a solid motor if it has been properly cared for and should not be lumped in with the 1997-2001 debacle?
2.Is it possible to properly evaluate this motor without it being on a boat and running?
3.If yes, what are the minimum items that need to be checked? Compression is a given but are there a few other critical items I need to look out for?
4.There are no certified Evinrude mechanics within a reasonable driving distance from where this motor is located so the evaluation can't be done by one. Is this a problem? Can any knowledgable outboard mechanic do this eval?

If it were an old Merc I would just hook a battery up to it and turn it over with a starter swith on the solenoid to check the compression (with the plugs properly grounded). But I know nothing about the electronics on this Ficht and don't know if that will damage anything.

Thanks very much in advance for any and all comments/suggestions you can provide.