Looking to replace a gas outboard with an electric trolling motor

koonz123

Recruit
Hi there I am looking to purchase a pontoon that has a gas outboard on it and then swap it out for a trolling motor setup so I can use on my lake at our cottage that is no gas motors requirement. Does anyone know of a conversion that will allow me to utilize the steering and throttle controls for the outboard with my new electric setup?

I want to thank everyone for their help upfront.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Looking to replace a gas outboard with an electric trolling motor

A trolling motor will not be enough for more pontoon boats. Let us know what kind of electric motor you have and we might be able to help more.

calvinator

Petty Officer 1st Class

Consider this....

I have a Motorguide W75. 24v, 75LBS thrust, 60" shaft on my 30' pontoon. It is all wireless and controlled by a keyfob. Might be an option for you, no connection to gas motor needed.

I can drive it while lounging on the sunpad. Kids love to drive the toon around too, keyfob is like a video game controller. I putt-putt all over the no wake area of my lake with it. I get 3-5 hrs run with (2) group 27 batteries.

Just make sure you get a 24v 75lbs thrust or greater model for the pontoon. Less thrust may not make any headway in windy conditions.

Splat

Lieutenant

Minn kota makes trolling motors that attach to the anti cav plate on motors. That would be your only option I know of that would allow you to use the steering wheel. You would have to leave the gas motor on though.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Any 24 or 36 volt troller with a wireless or corded foot pedal/fob will work fine. You just need very large capacity deep cycles and a good quality on-board charger to keep them fully charged.

Star

Chief Petty Officer

It is just my opinion but your idea is not practical. A loaded pontoon is hard to move with any kind of power. To use electric without any kind of secondary type of power will leave you stranded at some point. your ability to to navagate in wind and water will be a dangeous hazard to say the least. Trolling motors just don't have enough push to move a tank like that. Keep a 15 or 20 hp 4 stroke on the back of it and prove me wrong. The coal they use to charge your bank of batteries for 5 to 8 hours every day will not shrink your carbon footpint one bit. The 4 strokes don't stink and they sip fuel nicely. Don't get me wrong though I love the serenity of my Minny bow mount on my 14' alum. fishing and sneaking up on wildlife is great fun. Just getting to where you want to go will be painful for the kids, and I am sure that you know about that. This is meant to be constructive critisism, please consider it!

r.j.dawg

Ensign

Torqeedo makes a model Cruise 4.0R which has 189 lbs thrust. They are available at our local West Marine.

bekosh

Lieutenant

There are electric outboard motors available. A quick search on Google finds at least 3 companies. Torqeedo, Minn-Kota E-Drive & Ray Electric with motors up to the equivalent of a 75hp from the Torqeedo Deep Blue.

Something along that line might work better than a simple trolling motor.

Star

Chief Petty Officer

Hi again Guys,
Torqeedo does make a unit but you must remember that it takes alot of current to make 2 hp with an electric motor. To supply this current over any period of time requires a large battery bank. Batteries are expensive and heavy.
the man just wants to putt around a bit. Ask an owner of a 2 year old Volt what his range is on a full charge without the gas motor running... about 20 miles I would guess! Electric without a secondary system is very limiting.

Star

Chief Petty Officer

Hi again Guys,
Torqeedo does make a unit but you must remember that it takes alot of current to make 2 hp with an electric motor. To supply this current over any period of time requires a large battery bank. Batteries are expensive and heavy.
the man just wants to putt around a bit. Ask an owner of a 2 year old Volt what his range is on a full charge without the gas motor running... about 20 miles I would guess! Electric without a secondary system is very limiting.

jwbaumann

Recruit

My old pontoon (~1985) is powered by a Minn-Kota 24V 80# thrust transom mount trolling motor. At 75% power, it moves at 2+ mph and one battery set lasts 3 hours continuous usage (is it ever likely one would troll continuously for 3 hours?). I just bought a second identical TM and will try the team together tomorrow. Looking to hit 3+ mph! Love the quiet, instant start, no maintenance. Avoid winds and currents and you will be pleased if your goal is just being on the water fishing and sipping with friends.