Merc was running like a dog.

agallant80

Commander
Last week I had 6 people on the boat (4 adults, 2 children). Man my boat was a dog. at WOT it was taking for ever to get on plain and the RPM was climbing very slowly. When its just me and the wife the 5.0 is fine but I was shocked at how bad it was with 6 people. Any upgrades for more HP? Chip, etc?

hivoltg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Merc was running like a dog.

That is one beautiful bayliner you have. I would love to own one.

The quickest solution I can think of would be to swap to a low pitch prop for times when you know she will be loaded down. Im kind of surprised to hear that six people even caused an issue in that boat.

theblob

Banned

Last week I had 6 people on the boat (4 adults, 2 children). Man my boat was a dog. at WOT it was taking for ever to get on plain and the RPM was climbing very slowly. When its just me and the wife the 5.0 is fine but I was shocked at how bad it was with 6 people. Any upgrades for more HP? Chip, etc?

Do you have that wing tail on outdrive?seems to help plane out.you may have to have 3 people sat at front till it planes.have you tried using the trim adjusting it till it is almost up all the way till about comes out of water?what rpms you running at wot? If you will be running alot of people most the time you may need a better prop for take off just wont get az much speed at top end.

Bondo

Staff member

That is one beautiful bayliner you have. I would love to own one.

The quickest solution I can think of would be to swap to a low pitch prop for times when you know she will be loaded down. Im kind of surprised to hear that six people even caused an issue in that boat.

Ayuh,.... Agreed,.... a smaller prop is 'bout the only option now,.....

More horsepower option went out the door when ya bought the smaller motor in the bigger boat,...

Btw,.... Six people can be Alota weight,... especially if everyone is Aft,...

agallant80

Commander

Trim tabs did not help. Perhaps it sitting for about 3 weeks could have caused some issue. It seamed to have more power once it was going. As for changing props I have a bravo3 and the prop sets are $900-$1200 so unless I destroy one im sticking with the factory. I guess when the 5.0MPI gets tired I can always replace her with something larger. I hate that I have cats on the motor.

Bondo

Staff member

Trim tabs did not help. Perhaps it sitting for about 3 weeks could have caused some issue. It seamed to have more power once it was going. As for changing props I have a bravo3 and the prop sets are $900-$1200 so unless I destroy one im sticking with the factory. I guess when the 5.0MPI gets tired I can always replace her with something larger. I hate that I have cats on the motor.

Ayuh,... What Tabs did ya go with,..??

Bigger tabs might help, over-sized from the recommended sizin',...

theblob

Banned

Well you will just have to have couple people in cubby to get going ,after that they will move.with boat that big sure should of had 350 5.7.you may be able to upgrade the fuel injection.not forsure what you got on it.port polish.its 2013 so there could be a chip out that will help with advance.these computer boats are difficult.