Title help!!!

automaticj5

Seaman
Hello everyone. I bought a boat in TN and I live in IN... TN is a no title state and IN is. To register my boat the BMV is needing the title work....how do I solve this riddle?

Thanks!

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Title help!!!

It was not titled but had to be registered if it has a motor. Take the bill of sale and registration documentation to DMV. Some states require the seller to sign the back of the registration card. Say 3 prayers before walking in the DMV office.

southkogs

Staff member

Not sure what IN needs to title the boat. I believe (though I've never done it) the seller here in TN can get a document (not sure what it's called) in lieu of a title for you as an out of state purchaser. But I'm 90% sure that has to happen through the seller (as you're not a resident and haven't registered the boat here).

Though, check with Indiana and see if they'll accept a bill of sale to title.

There might be a way for you to register the boat in TN (our laws require a TN registration even for non-residents if the boat runs mostly on TN waters). If you can do that, then you might be able to establish ownership to satisfy IN to register up there. Again, have never done that myself so I'm not sure how it would practically work.

jbach

Seaman Apprentice

TN boat registration is done through the TN Wildlife Resources Agency. They should be able to get you the registration. It would have been attached to the sitcker I believe. I had to have the PO request and pay $10 for a duplicate. That and the bill of sale should get you what you need.