First Snow!

VE8EV

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, that's likely it for boating season up here. I'm going to hold off on full winterization for a couple of weeks but if I'm lucky and it warms up we might get out one more time. I'm already keeping the block and manifolds drained "just in case".

All in all, not a bad first season with the boat. Had it out a dozen times, burned $800 worth of gas (over $7/gal here!), and many fish were terribly inconvenienced.

Consider this a warning, winter is on the way for (almost) all of you!

Cheers
John

southkogs

Staff member
Re: First Snow!

... but not THAT winter!! :D

It's crazy to me that you've got snow already. I've been down in the SE too long ... we'll still be swimming for another month or two.

angus63

Captain

I was curious to see where you are from with such a short season. You are nearly "on top of the world"! Quite an exotic location you do your boating. I imagine the extreme cold is a challenge on the equipment. Next time I complain about the cold you are welcome to smack me!

rbh

Fleet Admiral

YUP, that's seems about right for Inuvik, last time I was there in July it was hotter than LA for a month though.

Then we went to TUK, and it was snowing there BRRRR

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Hey I seen your place on Ice road truckers!!

We have had snow on the Rockies here a couple times this summer so I guess its safe to say Mother Nature has been leaving us a few hints, hopefully winter is kind to me this Bow Season....

VE8EV

Petty Officer 2nd Class

YUP, that's seems about right for Inuvik, last time I was there in July it was hotter than LA for a month though.

Then we went to TUK, and it was snowing there BRRRR

We have all four seasons here: June, July, August, and WINTER...

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wow! It was 111* degrees here yesterday. I can't wait for it to cool off.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

even though you're quite a ways from us, I still hate seeing the "first snow" posts. it always means it's just around the corner for us as well......next week looks awesome here though.

agallant80

Commander

I think around Thanks Giving is when I call the boating season dead. Still have a few more months.

jkust

Rear Admiral

What is the name of the lake you boat on? It's a bummer your gas is so expensive given we all pay the same market price before taxes. I do hate that end of the season time when it could be 20 F one night and 75 F the next day. That's a good time to have an O/B.

aspeck

Staff member

I call the boating season dead the beginning of February ... when I can't break the ice anymore and all the game are out of season ...

jkust

Rear Admiral

I think I see ice chunks floating in your avatar pic. Was that taken in July?

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I think the Mods need to discuss whether this thread should be deleted....:laugh: SNOW????????:facepalm:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think the Mods need to discuss whether this thread should be deleted....:laugh: SNOW????????:facepalm:

You just don't want to think about tunin' up the plow when you're on the boat fishin', Musky. :lol:

VE8EV

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What is the name of the lake you boat on? It's a bummer your gas is so expensive given we all pay the same market price before taxes. I do hate that end of the season time when it could be 20 F one night and 75 F the next day. That's a good time to have an O/B.

I may have a short season but I'm fortunate to be able to boat in the Mackenzie River delta. Miles and miles of river channels through scenic wilderness and quite a few deep-water lakes as well.

:cold: 28F this morning but I'm taking my boy fishing tomorrow if I have to scrape the frost off the windows first! The cold snap will be over mid-week and we should get back to more normal temperatures for this time of year (40-60F). The real snow doesn't start until the end of September.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

YIKES!!, to early for frost even. LOL

Back in 81 canoed from the gravel pit/bridge south of town (30-40 KM?) down the Mackenzie heading for Aklivik at the mouth of the delta, but got lost.
Seems every year the channels change and our maps where way out of date.

hogg

Seaman

You better be stocking up with Fish for the winter. Fill the Coolers, come back for an empty cooler and repeat till the larder is full.

Brrrr that sounds like 'uncomfortable' to me from down here where it's 80-90 during the day and only 60 or so at night. Humidity almost prevents us from breathing.

We had a trickle of snow last winter. It stayed on the Ground till about 10:AM and that's as much of it I like to deal with.

You have more miles on your snowblower than your car. and You have 10 favourite recipes for moose meat.

Your tougher than I am buddy. I lived in Alaska almost 30 years, and now that I'm "outside" I doubt if I could go back and live there.
Can't stand the Cold any more!