1977evinrude throttle cable

PLINK328

Cadet
I have tried 3 different throttle cables on my 1977 evinrude 35 hp. Although the cables work fine not attached to the motor once connected the will not work. Can any ode help?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: 1977evinrude throttle cable

Then the 1st thing to do would be to check the throttle linkage. W/o connecting the cable to the engine, check to make sure that the lever that the cable connects to the engine moves. There are a number of plastic pieces in there that wear out or brake.

Last edited:

PLINK328

Cadet

Then the 1st thing to do would be to check the throttle linkage. W/o connecting the cable to the engine, check to make sure that the lever that the cable connects to the engine moves. There are a number of plastic pieces in there that wear out or brake.
The cable move freely and easily

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Are the cables the correct length, or do you have a bunch of extra bends in them? Also, what kind of control do you have? The problem could be in the control and not the cable

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

The cable move freely and easily

Think you misunderstood, I was not asking about the cable. I was refering to the part on the engine to where the cable connects. The parts that make up the carberator linkage. If that moves freely then as F_R says check the throttle control as well.

PLINK328

Cadet

Everything works fine alone until I connect the cable to the engine

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Alright we already know the cable works. Have you checked the engine yet to assure the linkage isn't binding?