1982 mercury 80hp choke

joshgar8

Seaman
How does the choke on a 1984 mercury 80hp 4cylinder work? I have only been around the inline 6's and they have the flapper that covers two of the the carbs resulting in a overly rich mixture when the choke is applied. The carbs on this 80hp have another linkage connecting the two carbs to the solenoid that turns a valve on each carb. Does this valve let extra fuel in or does it close off a air bleed of some type? I am having a hard time staring this engine but will fire up and run perfect after squirting some fuel in the carbs. I am beginning to wonder if I am choking it correctly. Does this type choke work like an enricher? Another words, the longer I hold the choke the more fuel runs into the the engine regardless if the engine is cranking?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1982 mercury 80hp choke

The choke is enrichment, unlike the the flapper chokes. I'm pretty sure you have to be cranking the motor to have fuel pressure. If you are holding the choke and not cranking, that may be why squirting fuel allows her to start. Try pressing the choke button a few times while cranking. If you hold it down, you might flood the motor.

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you have pumped up the primer bulb (pressurized the fuel line) the enrichner will squirt some fuel into the intake till the pressure bleeds off.

joshgar8

Seaman

I have tried cranking with the choke applied and no fire, I cranked to the point I thought it was flooded and to my amazement I gave it a shot of gas in the carbs and it fired right up. I was pulling for straws thinking maybe I could hold the choke 15 seconds or so and then see if it fired thinking the choke may drain fuel out of the bowls. My next step is to replace the fuel pump diaphragm and see if that helps. It appears to be good but for $3 I'm willing to gamble. Thanks for your info and any more idea would be greatly appreciated.

joshgar8

Seaman

Dave, that's something what I have had in mind but have yet to try it to see if it will work, I read your post after I replied, we must have been replying at the same time. Today I am going to pump it up real firm and hold the choke and see if it gets it enough fuel to fire. I'm use to the old inline 6's an this little thing is totally different. Thanks for your help

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you have the solenoid type enrichner then you should hear a click from it when you push in the key. The solenoid usually has a button on top for manual operation. You can disconnect the output fuel line, pump the primer bulb, push the key and fuel should run out.

emckelvy

Commander

If you have the solenoid type enrichner then you should hear a click from it when you push in the key. The solenoid usually has a button on top for manual operation. You can disconnect the output fuel line, pump the primer bulb, push the key and fuel should run out.

Actually it has a solenoid that looks just like the Old-School ones, which pulls on a metal plunger that in turn tugs on plastic linkage to operate the enrichening valves. Seems a bit too much, but that's what Merc engineers came up with!

So, it'll be very easy to verify the linkage and see if the "choke" solenoid is pulling upwards on the plunger when the button is pushed/ign key depressed (depending on the control box).

Here's a link to a diagram which shows the various parts:

Mercury Marine 800 (4 CYL.), 80 (4 CYL.) CARBURETOR LINKAGE Parts

HTH..........ed

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

And it has the pull knob just like the flapper choke too. If you don't hear the click of the choke solenoid, try pulling up the knob.

joshgar8

Seaman

I just took a look at it, the solenoid is working like normal clicking and turning the valves. I think I may have issues with the bulb itself. I rebuilt the fuel pump and when I cracked the pump apart I heard the fuel draining back into the tank. When I reassembled the pump the bulb was spongy and never got firm. I am going to replace it and see how it acts. Thanks for the help. I will update when I get the new bulb back in place and see the results.

joshgar8

Seaman

I got the fuel pump rebuilt, replaced the primer bulb and replaced the rectifier. The rectifier was blown when I got the engine I'm guessing because I also had to replace the main ground. With that being bad I'm guessing it shot the rectifier also. After that was replace I tried starting and it wouldn't hit until I gave it a shot of fuel. Benefit of the doubt, I'm thinking it may have needed a shot to get everything primed after the fuel pump rebuild and the new primer bulb. After the initial startup it acted like it wanted to start and run every time I hit the key. I am planning on taking it to the lake over the weekend and keeping it on the trailer to verify I may have worked some of the bugs out.