40HP head cover bolts.... Access?

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class
Do I have to drop the lower unit to get at the lower head cover bolts? Can I tilt up the power head?

They are all snapping off.... Tryingto replace tthe head cover gasket that is leaking around the plugs... Need to drill and tap the broken bolts.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 40HP head cover bolts.... Access?

You have to pull the powerhead to get at the lower ones - or drill through the belly pan...

jslu

Seaman

Do I have to drop the lower unit to get at the lower head cover bolts? Can I tilt up the power head?

Java

You didn't give details as to the vintage of your motor. I'm guessing it is of the early 80's vintage. If so, you could have replaced the gasket without removing the powerhead. The lower bolts require patience, I know, I did it with no problems. However now that you have snapped off several bolts, the power head MUST come off and then a trip to some machine shop. Drilling and retapping, or installing helicoils, is not for the average do it yourselfer!

John

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class

You have to pull the powerhead to get at the lower ones - or drill through the belly pan...

Arrrg that's what I was afraid of. Dont think drilling through the belly pan sounds good. I have a feeling more of the bolts will be snapping which means more than one hole.

Java

You didn't give details as to the vintage of your motor. I'm guessing it is of the early 80's vintage. If so, you could have replaced the gasket without removing the powerhead. The lower bolts require patience, I know, I did it with no problems. However now that you have snapped off several bolts, the power head MUST come off and then a trip to some machine shop. Drilling and retapping, or installing helicoils, is not for the average do it yourselfer!

John

John,
Yes 82,sorry should have mentioned that. Yeah I would have been fine getting the bolts out if they haven't been seized. PB and a blow torch wasn't doing it.

I'm fully capable of drilling the studs out and re tapping, but what a pain in the ***. And I really didn't want to pull the power head.