testing gas gage on 1995 proline

ermack

Seaman Apprentice
my gas gage does not work and was wondering how to test the gage and sending unit. I want to know which is bad so I can replace it....thanks

Re: testing gas gage on 1995 proline

either get behind the gauge or get access to the fuel sender then ground out the sense wire to see if the needle moves. If it does not check you have 12v power to gauge before condemning the gauge.

Sorry should have said the grounding out means connecting to dc negative

Last edited:

Baja16SS

Recruit

I'm a boat service tech and deal with this frequently.

It us usually the sender that is at fault and I test the system by grounding out the pink wire at the sending unit.

With the ignition key "on", your fuel gauge should move from where the needle rests while "off". You usually have some movement between power on and power off. Might be minor.

Leave key on and ground pink wire at back of boat.

You can touch the top of the sender and the center stud using a screw driver for a quick test as the outer ring is grounded by the black wire attached to it. ( there is a black wire, right ? :) )
Sometimes I attach a jumper wire with alligator ends to the center post of sender then a good ground ( battery, harness wire etc. Depends on location and what is nearby).

There is no voltage so there will not be any sparks.

Needle should move and show a fuel reading. Some gauges jump to "full" some climb slowly.
This verifies wire from sender to gauge as well as gauge.

If no change, check back of gauge. Find the "ground" post and the "sender" post . use a jumper to connect the two. Gauge should reed full.
Problem is in wiring from gauge to sender ( pink) or ground to sender (black).
The purple wire is battery 12v and the blue wire is the light.

If problem is in sender, I mark it before removal by placing a stripe on sender and tank to help line up holes for reassembly.
All 5 screws only match up one way.

Follow instructions with new sender to measure and cut float arm.
Make sure float arm is aimed in correct direction during reassembly so as not to hit sidewall of tank.

Last edited:

ermack

Seaman Apprentice

thank you everyone, I am sure I can tackle this problem with all your help.

ermack

Seaman Apprentice

working.........all fixed with your help, thanks