green worms

theblob

Banned
Here in louisville.ky we go dig these green worms,basicly nite crawler with slimy stinky,bloody green stuff inside.i wonder if there poiseness.its a creek where they use to dump cow guts,and who knows what else.stock yards.weve used them for years.just wondering about the juice inside of them,and poking your finger with hook.does anyone ever run across these same worms?we use to slay the catfish with them.that smell and slime so hard to get off hands.ive even thought about grinding them up and making a dough bait.its the only bait that even comes close to shad gut.but where else could these worms be found.they sell greenworms at baitshop,but thier not the same just dyed with green.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
Re: green worms

We can buy green night crawlers here in MI. but they just add green dye to the soil the worms are living in, and they charge a buck or two more. So like any fisherman, I was hooked on trying them. The green fished as good as the regular but really no better. The dye messes up the boat, so we discontinued the use of them. The stuff you're talking about sounds disgusting, I don't think I'd try using them based on what you shared. I guess it depends on how big the fish are and what you do with them after you catch em. Night crawlers don't live in creeks around here, we water the lawn and use a flashlight at night to get all we want. You can add the dye and in about a week you will have green crawlers. But I bet the fish are chasing the smell, not the color in your case.

nimmor

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like there is some kind of sewage run off in the area.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer

I have never seen a green night crawler but I did pick up some that would glow in the dark. They were from the soft mud along a creek in Missouri and we found them by stomping the mud until they crawled up. I guess if there is phosphoresence in the soil the worms will glow. We lost a nice catfish that night when the line broke trying to pull the cat up over an overhang.

TrikeFreak

Cadet

We have a nearby river with a sand bottom, and it has these green worms. All you do is take pitch fork, turn over the sand/leaves bank soil, and you have free bait. I was always told as a kid to not wipe your eyes when messing with these worms, you'd go blind. I've looked on the internet a couple times, and not found a lot of information about the green worms. When I was a kid, I took a bunch of these home and used in a nearby pond, the fish LOVED those stinky green worms.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer

I see they have the nitro worms in the bait shops around here now. They are raised to be green. Can you post a picture of the green worms that you get out of the ground near you? I would like to see what they look like.