1993 Evinrude intruder keeps dying at speed

KirkSpock

Cadet
Hello All

I have a Evinrude Intruder 175 hp # VE175GLETR (VRO REMOVED before I bought the boat) Just bought the boat. (1994 Bayliner Redevous 2609)
The engine has had this problem for awhile.

Boat starts and idles fine, runs slow fine, but when you run it 3/4 to WOT it will run out good the BAM it just shuts
off. Put it in neutral pump the bulb and it fires right up and runs fine, until you crank it out again, then BOOM dies again.

The previous owner had all new carbs put on ( I mean new, not rebuilt, wow that was expensive) a tune up, last year
and it still did not fix problem. He ran out of money, so he just putted around and it did fine.

Any Ideas ?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1993 Evinrude intruder keeps dying at speed

Sounds like you might have some ignition probs due the fact it shuts off so fast. Just like shutting the key off, right ??

KirkSpock

Cadet

Sounds like you might have some ignition probs due the fact it shuts off so fast. Just like shutting the key off, right ??

Hello Boobie

Yes it is just like that, like you turned off the key.

I am picking the boat up on thursday and plan on checking the following

Safety Lanyard
Ignition switch

But since it only does it at 3/4 to WOT, I am not holding out hope on the above.
I plan on ordering the factory service manual (not SELOC or Haines)

Do you have any suggestions

Thank You
MikeR

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Go buy an open air gap spark tester at any parts house, set it at 7/16" gap and immediately check the spark when it quits.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Yes and all the plugs.

KirkSpock

Cadet

Yes and all the plugs.

Hello Boobie

I got the boat home last night, and hooked up the muffs and fired it up,wanted to play with the spark tester before going out on the water. I set it at 7/16 as you said and could only get 3 plugs to jump the 7/16, backed it down to a litlle les than 3/8 and got 2 more of the plugs to fire. The last plug would not fire till i got to 1/4 inch.

Any ideas ?

thank you
mike

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Go to cdielectronics.com for good trouble shooting procedures.