Yamaha 2006 F90 knocking

JedFisher

Recruit
I have a Yamaha 2006 F90 that just starting knocking on my last outing. I have never had an issue with the motor or leg previously nor have I ever hit anything. The prop looks fine. I found that the knocking only happens when in forward gear. It's fine in neutral and reverse. Knocking increases with RPM, you can actually feel the knock. I removed the leg oil drain screw last night and found probably an inch worth of metal shavings attached to the magnet which is much more than I've ever seen. It doesn't look good. I will be taking the boat into a dealer but am interested in your expert opinion as to what will need to be fixed. Lastly, what could have created this issue? I've never had issues with the leg previously and have the leg oil removed and refilled at the end of each season and have never noticed any water in the oil. I've also checked the leg oil level mid year and it looked fine. There have been some very fine shavings on the drain screen historically during year end maintenance but very little amounts.

MARV1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Yamaha 2006 F90 knocking

The f90 lower units are the weakest ever and always tend to give out breaking gears in forward and dog-clutch spring giving out... The engines are awesome, just weak lower units that should be made like the 115's instead and 115's like the 150's...