Why Shouldn't I Get a Center Console?

mgmidget72

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Can someone help me understand reasons I should NOT get a center console?

I currently have a 1999 Sea Ray 180 OB and am thinking about replacing it with a used center console or dual console, 19-22 feet with an outboard (required because of where the boat is kept). No time right away though, just starting to think about it.

At times, I?ve felt we?ve been out in conditions beyond what is safe for this boat, so I?d like something a little more sea worthy. We keep it just off the Housatonic River in Milford, CT and use it primarily in the Long Island Sound and up the Housatonic River. We use it for watersports towing, day trips across/along the Sound, and anchoring to relax/swim. Sometimes it?s just my wife and me; other times us and a few guests. What we don?t do is any fishing and probably never will. Because of that, we won?t be going out in really bad weather, but I don?t want to have to wait for perfectly flat water or worry about getting caught out either. Once in a while, we may want to put our kayaks (12.5? & 13.4?) in it to try out different kayaking spots. We did that once in our Sea Ray and it was too cramped. The Sea Ray works out great for watersports towing, and I don?t want to lose that by going too big or heavy.

Here?s my dilemma ? what I described above points directly at a dual console with a bimini. But just purely on a gut feel, I am more drawn to center consoles with a T-top. What would I be missing out on with a center console over a dual console for my uses? Any areas the center console would be better than a dual console? Most of the reviews and comparisons I?ve seen regarding these boats, particularly center consoles, focus on the ease of fishing from them. So I?m interested to hear how they work out when you?re not fishing.

Thanks,
Scott

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Why Shouldn't I Get a Center Console?

While a full canvas kit is doable with a Center Console, it is not typical. The Dual Console will allow more protection from the weather due to that. Also, more seating and comfort for passengers. I love center consoles, but I have a hard time making the case if lounging and cruising are the priorities. My suggestion for you is the Robalo 227.

attachment.php

Attachments

• R227_Run_09 resize.jpg
    R227_Run_09 resize.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 0

Bald Eagle Jones

Seaman Apprentice

Interestingly enough, we are at the exact same cross roads. My wife and I made our first trip to look at Sea Hunt boats (and a few others) this weekend. We talked to the Sea Hunt salesman and were looking at a CC 211 Ultra. After hearing what we wanted to do with the boat he suggested we look at the DC 211 Escape. My wife took one look at it and loved it due to the larger cockpit area – better for entertaining guests….on occasion. While the DC is nice and probably makes more sense for what we want to do with the boat, I really like the CC – mainly due to looks and the high driving/seating position (the CC we looked at had leaning post w/backrest). When we started looking to buy a boat we decided to buy a boat for us (two adults, two kids) and not to entertain all of our friends, therefore I think the CC would work. My wife is not a fan of the CC… I guess I better figure out how to like the DC unless someone can convince me otherwise :confused:

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

As has been said, center console is designed for fishing, there just isn't enough seating for much of anything else.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

If you don't want to be limited by conditions, you need an offshore style hull. Several of the manufacturers make an ocean worthy dual console but they are pricy and don't have a built in sofa and recliners. Cup holders are optional.

FWIW: The thing you get with a "fishing boat" is room. Everything is built in. My fish boxes double as twin, 162 qt. coolers. That's on top of the 72 qt. live-well and a dedicated 40 qt. drink cooler. With 49 sq. ft of cockpit space, we've had a picnic table on board a couple of times. Try that with a dual console. Another feature of "fishing" boats... the cushions are removable. Easy to clean, easy to store when not in use.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Not only can center consoles have as much or more seating as other designs, there's more room in the "cockpit" when you are seated. IN the overstuffed sofa boats if you pack them in right you sit with your knees between someone else's. Little room for loose gear like bags and coolers.

Those who say CC's are only designed for fishing or have no seats simply aren't familiar enough with the boats to opine. The general family recreational boaters on my river--some of whom never ever fish--go with the CC design 80% and a dual console 10%. And that's the ratio of the dozen boats I see standing on my pier, of the motor boats between 14 and 24 feet.

Two reasons it's nice to have a hull that will handle bad weather--one, you're safe if (when) you get caught by unexpected bad weather--including the self-bailing feature, and two, it's a drier ride when you go out with adults to cruise and may have to cross a short stretch of choppy water. I know how it works, while children don't mind some spray, and outdoorsmen don't mind it unless it's really cold, the ladies don't like it and will express their displeasure.

When I go duck hunting I often transport a 13' canoe inside my 19' CC along one side. You could transport 2 kayaks the same way--yes they are in the way en route but you get them there; not with any other design (and OB). Likewise plenty of room for tubes, skis, as well as gear and coolers.

Men drive standing up or at the height of standing up if there is any chop. That explains all the worn or broken seat backs on bowriders. A cc is designed to be driven in the kind of water you will be in.

If you have one with removable cushions, they maintain themselves, don't need covers, you leave them home with a small crew, and of course you don't have carpet so the whole boat is weatherproof and requires next to no cleaning and covering.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Those who say CC's are only designed for fishing or have no seats simply aren't familiar enough with the boats to opine.
No one said either of those things, so may we retain our right to opine? :rolleyes:

We use it for watersports towing, day trips across/along the Sound, and anchoring to relax/swim. Sometimes it?s just my wife and me; other times us and a few guests. What we don?t do is any fishing and probably never will.
It seems reasonably logical here to gravitate towards something other than a Center Console. Not sure why we need to be beaten down to suggest that ;) But I will succumb to the ultimate authority and move on to another hobby/obsession. I am not worthy.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Someone should have told my boat that. A 21'er cuddy and 66 sq ft of cockpit space. OP lives in CT, a DC will give him a longer season as it will be more dry, much warmer in cool months, and a place for the ladies to go potty in private. My boat is used 98% as a fishing platform. She will be fine in 2' of water (but I like 3') or 30 miles offshore.

If you don't want to be limited by conditions, you need an offshore style hull. Several of the manufacturers make an ocean worthy dual console but they are pricy and don't have a built in sofa and recliners. Cup holders are optional.

FWIW: The thing you get with a "fishing boat" is room. Everything is built in. My fish boxes double as twin, 162 qt. coolers. That's on top of the 72 qt. live-well and a dedicated 40 qt. drink cooler. With 49 sq. ft of cockpit space, we've had a picnic table on board a couple of times. Try that with a dual console. Another feature of "fishing" boats... the cushions are removable. Easy to clean, easy to store when not in use.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Not only can center consoles have as much or more seating as other designs, there's more room in the "cockpit" when you are seated. IN the overstuffed sofa boats if you pack them in right you sit with your knees between someone else's. Little room for loose gear like bags and coolers.

See attached pics of a 21' center console, and a 20' outboard bowrider. Both are very good examples of the 'average' of each type of boat. So the CC has more seating room??? Yes, it has more cockpit room without those pesky places to sit down.

That particular center console doesn't even have a drivers seat/leaning post, it has close quarters for maybe 2 people in front of the console, and maybe 2 people facing backwards up front. (which nobody is going to want to do anyway) That is it. The bowrider, which is a foot shorter, has room for 3 or 4 kids up front, or 2 adults. 2 captains chairs, and then enough seating for 3 adults in the rear bench. There is also a wraparound spot for one more adult.

Long story short, both boats are specific types of boats, and both have an intended purpose. They make poor replacements for each other. Look at what the locals use, and buy sometime similar. In my area (inland lakes/rivers), I can count the number of center consoles that I've seen in the last 10 years on one hand. Of course, when I rent a boat in the Keys, all you find are center consoles, which make sense!

mirage_21_ob_450.jpg

campionchase600_run1.jpg

Last edited:

lfunk11

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am still looking for my first boat, but I really like these DCs. I have a feeling they are going to be more $ than I want to spend on my first boat, but it will give me something to research if our family likes boating. I don't live near any bays/ocean, but I would like to have a boat to have fun out on the lake and be able to take it to the Outer Banks or Chesapeake Bay.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

See attached pics of a 21' center console, and a 20' outboard bowrider. Both are very good examples of the 'average' of each type of boat. So the CC has more seating room??? Yes, it has more cockpit room without those pesky places to sit down.

That particular center console doesn't even have a drivers seat/leaning post, it has close quarters for maybe 2 people in front of the console, and maybe 2 people facing backwards up front. (which nobody is going to want to do anyway) That is it. ]

Your example of a CC is not at all average, and all along we have discussed the ones that have built-in seating, like a Sea Hunt, and not wide open, like that one or a Parker. There will be at least 2 seats in the stern (some have a bench), two at the helm, one or two in front of the console, and 2-4 on the bow seat. And that's where the passengers prefer to sit, yes facing backwards--they all do it and love it.

It's not that complicated.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

No one said either of those things [CC's are only designed for fishing or have no seats] , so may we retain our right to opine? :rolleyes:

responding to this: "As has been said, center console is designed for fishing, there just isn't enough seating for much of anything else." Pretty clear to me.

Look, I just don't want someone coming here for advice about a good family -use boat on the coast to make a tragic mistake.

Thalasso

Commander

I think you need to look at just what you want to use the boat for mostly. Certain water conditions a cc isn't advised imho.Your not going to like the water coming over the bow and in the boat.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Look, I just don't want someone coming here for advice about a good family -use boat on the coast to make a tragic mistake.
Much of this is regionally based and not necessarily fact based. Look at where I boat, probably 90% I/O. Doesn't make it right, just is. With that said, your posts indicated that no other opinions were valid unless they suggested CC's. I love OBs and CCs, but there are better family boats that are just as seaworthy if we take off our bias caps ;)

Edit: BTW, the post you cited allowed for some wiggle room. Your post did not. Hence my reaction :)

Last edited:

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

While a full canvas kit is doable with a Center Console, it is not typical. The Dual Console will allow more protection from the weather due to that. Also, more seating and comfort for passengers. I love center consoles, but I have a hard time making the case if lounging and cruising are the priorities. My suggestion for you is the Robalo 227.

attachment.php

That Robalo is pretty sweet and would be much better for what he wants to do than a CC.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Someone should have told my boat that. A 21'er cuddy and 66 sq ft of cockpit space. OP lives in CT, a DC will give him a longer season as it will be more dry, much warmer in cool months, and a place for the ladies to go potty in private.
Your comparing apples to oranges. According to Edgewater website, all their 20' boats have 66 sq ft of cockpit space. The only way that can be true is if they are counting everything inside the railspace. Exclude the helm, seating areas, cuddy, etc., basically everything w/o a non-slip finish and chances are you'll come up with a little number.

In my case, that 49 sq. ft is just the large open fishing area in the back that Grady White is famous for. It does not include anything but.

The Edgewater is a nice boat. I'm sure it serves it's purpose well. I just see how I'd fish my 21 rod spread off a boat like that. Sure looks cold.........burrrr :D

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Your example of a CC is not at all average, and all along we have discussed the ones that have built-in seating, like a Sea Hunt, and not wide open, like that one or a Parker. There will be at least 2 seats in the stern (some have a bench), two at the helm, one or two in front of the console, and 2-4 on the bow seat. And that's where the passengers prefer to sit, yes facing backwards--they all do it and love it.

It's not that complicated.

Comments like those do not help the situation...... No reason stick in a jab....... There's nothing wrong to agree to disagree. Doesn't mean we have to continue to drive home our points. We can all give an opinion and then let the OP decide........

That Robalo is pretty sweet and would be much better for what he wants to do than a CC.

That's my thoughts too. I guess it comes down to personal preference......

QC

Supreme Mariner

Also, for me, it is hard to argue a DC is less safe, especially if you have a properly fitted bow cover in place.