55 johnson

soutland

Recruit
I have a 78 55 Johnson outboard motor that is having problems restarting after in the water. we can go all day and once we stop and turn off the motor it won't crank again need help finding out what the problem is. it doesn't do this all the time but most of the time.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 55 johnson

When you say "Won't Crank"....... Are you saying that the electric starter won't crank the engine over... or that the engine actually cranks over but won't start?

soutland

Recruit

okay I mean for example like when I have the key turned I try to pull up the prop up and it goes up then just stps but it continues making the noise. then I try to start the boat and it wants to cranks but won't. Although if I set it out of the water for a good while it is fine again.

Last edited:

fireman57

Captain

I don't understand what you mean when you try to pull up the prop. Are you referring to the tilt/trim? I assume that when you stop you use the tilt/trim to get the prop out of the water. When you put it back in the water it cranks slowly or not at all. Is that right?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

okay I mean for example like when I have the key turned I try to pull up the prop up and it goes up then just stps but it continues making the noise. then I try to start the boat and it wants to cranks but won't. Although if I set it out of the water for a good while it is fine again.

Sorry my friend but I don't comprehend what your problem is. No offense intended but you need to get a friend to help you in describing in detail exactly what the problem is.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

A guess, bad battery or battery cable connections.

soutland

Recruit

the battery is good someone said maybe wiring connection but I'm not sure

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Remove the negative battery cable from the ENGINE END-Clean it and re-install.