Timing Johnson 150 -- Trouble disabling QuickStart

I've got a Johnson 150 (J150NXEDB) that we just put a new powerhead in. We followed every detail per the factory service manual and now we're trying to set the timing. We're following the instructions about the link and sync and trying to set the timing using an optical timing light; TDC was located using a piston stop and setting the pointer. However, when we turn the motor over (base held back to the stop and adjustment tabs all the way forward), the base timing is around TDC; when we advance to full advance using the roller wheel it's close to 30 BTDC. Any adjustments on the tabs make it worse. I can only imagine the quickstart is still engaged, even though we've turned the motor over for more than 10 seconds and the temp sensor white/black wire is grounded.

I've read posts about disconnecting the yellow/red wire from the power pack, but if I disconnect it from the solenoid, I can't turn the motor over. If I try to disconnect it from the power pack it's part of a bundle that's clips in. I'm not sure how to disconnect it there. Is this part necessary? Many people don't mention it when checking timing, but others do.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

daselbee

Commander
Re: Timing Johnson 150 -- Trouble disabling QuickStart

Yellow/red is part of the harness and you can't disconnect from the pack without also disconnecting the ability to start using the key...right? Well, just disconnect the yellow/red at the solenoid, and use a short jumper to go from the positive battery post (2" inches away) to the solenoid terminal that you took the yellow/red off of. Or use a remote start switch, which is what I use. Here is the key point: The presence of +12v on the yellow/red when attempting to start tells the pack to go into QS mode. Remove that +12v, and pack will not know you are attempting to start. Secondly, you say "base held back to the stop".....huh? That is supposed to be an optical ignition system, and no timer base is present. Something wrong here?

Last edited:

HenryB

Petty Officer 1st Class

You are referring to the Joe Reese method of timing the engine at crank speed.

Follow the yellow/red wire coming from the powerpack until reaching a bayonet connection and disconnect it there. That's the way my 130 is wired. If no bayonet connection then someone else must jump in because I'm not familiar with the 150 wiring.

How much arrow adjustment did you make? The pointer should not have needed much adjustment. Make sure that you are using the proper cylinder for #1. The high speed timing setting is on the carburetor cover. Set the timing to the manufacturers recommended amount less at idle speed.

The Reese method suggests wiring the timing ring adjustment mechanism hard against the stop (the black rubber cap hard against the stop).

Last edited:

daselbee

Commander

As I said, this is an OPTICAL ignition system.....no "timing ring adjustment mechanism"....the engine is supposed to be timed statically using the OMC optical ignition timing tool.....again, something wrong here.

Secondly, you say "base held back to the stop".....huh? That is supposed to be an optical ignition system, and no timer base is present. Something wrong here?

I was just clarifying that I was taking base idle timing and the timer base was not being advanced and it was against the stop per page 1-33, step 5 of the factory manual. They do refer to it as a timer base.

Yes, I'm trying the Joe Reese method while following the link and sync directions in the factory manual. Since I don't have access to an OMC ignition analyzer I'm using a timing light. It's showing it's advanced and I'm assuming the quickstart isn't disengaged by only grounding the blk/white wire from the port sensor.

I'll try getting and then using a remote starter to work around disconnecting the yel/red wire. I was having a friend turn the motor over. I thought the remote starter was for convenience of doing it by yourself. Now I see.

btw, there wasn't much adjustment made to the stainless steel pointer to line up with TDC, used a piston stop, etc. Everything is fine there. Thanks

phillnjack2

Ensign

I don't think you have the engine stated in first post !!!!!!!!
daselbee as already stated this should be an optical set up, yet you still refer to it being older style.
are you sure this power head is the same as the one originaly on this model number ? if so who changed all the electrics over to old style ?

check numbers on engine again,not just the bracket.

phill

I don't think you have the engine stated in first post !!!!!!!!
daselbee as already stated this should be an optical set up, yet you still refer to it being older style.
are you sure this power head is the same as the one originaly on this model number ? if so who changed all the electrics over to old style ?

check numbers on engine again,not just the bracket.

phill

Yes, it's a OIS 2000 optical system. Looking at the Mastertech Mastertech Outboard Motor Repair and Marine OMC Johnson Evinrude Optical Ignition Troubleshooting Guide. he talks about timing the OIS 2000 (albeit using the CDI power pack system) with a timing light much like Joe Reeves. I'm wondering, not assuming, if the OEM power pack can also do this or am I required to use the OMC Ignition Analyzer? Is this only possible with the CDI power pack?