question

Dworth259

Cadet
So I took apart my motor at the carb to look at it after I hit a log to make sure the adjustments were still good. I noticed vacuum lines off my cut off switch were dry rotted along with another vacuum line making a total of two. So my question is after hitting a log my boat feels like it is bogged down at WOT could it be because of those lines, could the flywheel have slipped and knocked off the timing, I still have to test the prop in the water to see if its a spun prop was just wondering if I should check the flywheel, and replace the lines

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: question

So I took apart my motor at the carb to look at it after I hit a log to make sure the adjustments were still good. I noticed vacuum lines off my cut off switch were dry rotted along with another vacuum line making a total of two. So my question is after hitting a log my boat feels like it is bogged down at WOT could it be because of those lines, could the flywheel have slipped and knocked off the timing, I still have to test the prop in the water to see if its a spun prop was just wondering if I should check the flywheel, and replace the lines

This is the fourth thread you have started on this matter..... This causes unnecessary confusion and repetition..... better to stick to just one

Prop hub or shear pin should fail before flywheel slips. It's keyed to the shaft and on a taper! If the retaining nut was not torqued properly and the key has sheared then you have probably done serious damage to shaft and/or flywheel.

A spun hub will allow the engine to rev high without driving the boat. It will probably drive normally at low speed but then slip when the throttle is opened . These are not the symptoms you describe the opposite in fact.

Have you done the compression test you were advised to do. What were the results.

Have you checked the sparks on both cylinders

Fix any defective vacuum lines

Maybe you shook up some debris in the fuel system or carbs and now need to do a full carb clean

BTW Boobie its a 1970 33 hp Johnson. according to one of the earlier threads

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Dworth, I haven't read the other threads, and probably won't now. However, hitting a log won't do any of the things you describe, except maybe tear the prop hub loose. If the flywheel did happen to shear, it was going to anyway, probably from improper installation. And if it did shear, chances are slim that it would even run now. Slim, but not impossible.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Dworth, I haven't read the other threads, and probably won't now. However, hitting a log won't do any of the things you describe, except maybe tear the prop hub loose. If the flywheel did happen to shear, it was going to anyway, probably from improper installation. And if it did shear, chances are slim that it would even run now. Slim, but not impossible.

You've already contributed to one of them ;)