Boat won't get on step

moki

Cadet
I have a 1988 Baretta Supersport 185 with a puny 2.3L OMC / Cobra outdrive. I recently did a full tune up, changed water separator and inline fuel filter in carb. Engine fires first click and purrs. By myself in the boat, 4200 rpm wot and it flies. Anybody else in the boat and it runs at 3000 rpm and thats all she's got...unless my passenger goes to the bow.

I chatted with some engineer friends and decided there must be a weight issue in the boat. The previous owner had built a nice sunning platform above the engine, and changed the rear seats to a single bench seat in front of the engine. It looks awesome. Then I looked...it was all 2x4 framing, excessive. I purchased some aluminum to rebuild the framework that weighs less than a single 2x4. Photo shows what I removed. I'll keep you up to date with repairs.

20130819_154821.jpg20130819_154748.jpg20130819_154729.jpg

moki

Cadet
Re: Boat won't get on step

Ok, $125 later, an aluminum frame is made. Next stop is to my son to weld it solid ( I used pop rivets).
Hopefully this will fix the overweight aft end problem.
cushion trial.jpg
frame before welding.jpg
trial fit.jpg

Last edited:

QC

Supreme Mariner

Looks cool. Let us know. BTW, these types of threads are usually best in the general forums. The manufacturer forums just don't get the traffic.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I just happen to stumble on this. Man, you cleaned a lumberyard out of the back. I think you will see improvement all around, on the water and on the trailer. Nice job. :thumb: