tach help

edson1988

Seaman Apprentice
today I went to buy a tach for my 1989 110 hp cause mine doesn't currently have 1. the person at the counter told me I should contact evinrude to see if there's a harness to buy so I can install a tach . I was looking at the Teleflex. any help would be appreciated

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: tach help

There should be a 3 pin connector on the control box under the key, this is where the tach plugs in. The Teleflex tach likely doesn't come with a harness that will plug right in so that's why they directed you to the manufacturer. There are other ways to wire it and bypass the connector plug.

edson1988

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the reply I contacted local dealer they say they can get me the harness and tach but the need to know how many polls my engine has. I have been looking in the manual but could not find it . 1989 evinrude 110hp

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The tachometer operates off of your engine's six (6) pulse alternator charging system. Most of the present day tachometers have a dial on the back of them... set it to number 6.

edson1988

Seaman Apprentice

I purchased a faria tach today and I understand where to get the positive from and the ground from but not sure where to get the signal from and how to attach it? thanks for the replies

phipps

Petty Officer 1st Class

I purchased a faria tach today and I understand where to get the positive from and the ground from but not sure where to get the signal from and how to attach it? thanks for the replies

There should be a gray wire in the wiring harness. That is your signal wire.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The "gray" wire (tach sensor lead) that Philipps mentions above would attach to a gray wire leading from your tachometer or to a terminal marked "S" or "Sen" or Sensor. Describe what the back of your tachometer looks like.

edson1988

Seaman Apprentice

ok sorry I wasn't clearer what I am not sure about is how the signal gets from the engine to the signal terminal ? would the manufacture have it already going from the engine to the control but just not installed? then I would just plug in the connector and run grey wire to the signal terminal? thanks for the quick replies

82rude

Rear Admiral

if you bought a faria do not set at 6 ! faria indicates on their info sheet that 70 hp and greater including sea drive are 12 pole and you set at number 5 on the dial.http://faria-instruments.com/site_manuals/IS0086_S_Outboard_Tach_Applications.pdf set on number 4 if you got the 6000 rpm tac .I have the 7000rpm tac and is set on 5 and is spot on .though it did confuse me as for telflex what joe says goes.

Last edited:

edson1988

Seaman Apprentice

ok the new harness has 3 wires coming from it black purple and grey and a blue that's not attached to the harnes the old harness has just 1 pink wire running to the trim guage. the boat originally didn t have a tach. how do I wire everything in ?

Last edited:

edson1988

Seaman Apprentice

so I believe the harness gets plugged in then grey goes to signal and black to ground and purple to switch power how do I get power from old harness which has the trim gage attached. thanks for the replies ?