Roller Trailer setup

arcee1951

Cadet
Thanks for the replies. The boat is sitting a litle crooked on th trailer right now, hence the rollers in the wrong place. My concern was that there weren't enough rollers.

I haven't snapped any pictures yet, and just bought my first boat in 35 years. I have an 18' Starcraft boat with a Spartan trailer. The rollers on the right hand side of the boat line up and straddle the right rib fine, but the left side rollers are riding directly on top of the left rib, and the center rib. They appear to be about 3 inches too narrow. The mounts for the rollers on the trailer are welded, and there is not enough adjustment to move the rollers to the left about 4 inches. The boat is 1976 and the trailer is 1981. I don't think that the trailer is heavy duty enough for this boat. It takes a 1 7/8 ball for the hitch, and I would figure it should be 2 inch.

Any ideas?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: This trailer roller setup doesn't look right

Re: This trailer roller setup doesn't look right

Yes, start your own thread and some pictures would help.

Edit: I started a new thread for the OP.

Last edited by a moderator:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Roller Trailer setup

seem pretty simple to me... if the trailer can't easily be adjusted to fit the boat and is too small for it anyhow then you need to buy a different trailer and sell that one.

GA_Boater

With all welded fittings , adjusting is awful hard if it doesn't hit right on. As far as the 1 7/8" ball, it's rated @ 5000, so that's no problem for an 18' tinny. Get a pic or two - Helps us a lot. Also, :welcome: to iboats. Don't take my post about starting a thread the wrong way. Tagging on to old threads doesn't get much in the way of response.

And thanks QC.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

The 1 7/8" couplers I was able to find in a quick search were rated for up to 2000 lbs and MY trailers with 1 7/8 couplers are rated for 1000 and 1500 lbs...We can't yet assume that that isn't a sign of an undersized trailer.

The O/P has yet to specify that he has a tinny... unless starcraft wasn't making glassers in '76?... I agree tho... more investigation is in order

GA_Boater

The 1 7/8" couplers I was able to find in a quick search were rated for up to 2000 lbs and MY trailers with 1 7/8 couplers are rated for 1000 and 1500 lbs...We can't yet assume that that isn't a sign of an undersized trailer.

The O/P has yet to specify that he has a tinny... unless starcraft wasn't making glassers in '76?... I agree tho... more investigation is in order

Right, Smoke. It's my tinness. :doh: The shank diameter rather than the ball size determines the rating. And I quickly looked at a fat shank with out paying close attention. Unless it's a typo, but even the package says 5K. U-Haul: Moving supplies: 1-7/8" Hitch Ball, 2-3/16" Shank Length

arcee1951

Cadet

It is an aluminum or tinny. I've taken pictures but need to figure out how to download them. I checked all the Spartan trailer sites that I could find, and found nothing that gives weight specs. The trailer weighs 385#.

arcee1951

Cadet

front left.jpgrear shot.jpgside shot.jpgrear right shot.jpgfront shot.jpg
jpg.gif
jpg.gif
jpg.gif
jpg.gif
jpg.gif

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

What is it you want to know about that trailer? Get me the overall length, overall width, width between fenders and the size of the tires and I might have some info on that trailer. Best I can tell right now by the design and color scheme is that it's a mid to late 1990's trailer.

But 1st of all it needs to be reset, the wobble bunks are in the wrong position. The strakes should not be sitting on the rollers. They need to be moved. Either inward or outward. Also the bar that goes to the frame mounts should also have another set of holes so that they can be raised or moved forward or backwards.

I had one of those under a Lund and I wish I still owned it.

arcee1951

Cadet

Commander, this is a 1981 Spartan. Overall length is 17'6", overall width is 76", and width between the fenders is 57". I see that only 1 picture out of 5 showed up. I just learned to spell compooter 2 weeks ago, and the grandkids live 100 miles away. I'm not sure what the terminoligies are, but it does not appear that any adjustments I can make, will allow my 18' Starcraft to fit on it. The bar that holds the rollers on only has 2 adjustments, and they are only an inch apart. I need to make up about 4 inches in width. The back bracket that is welded to the frame has 3 holes and the back rollers should go to the rear one, but that wouldn't help the width. There is no adjustment, front to rear, on the front set of rollers. I just retired and am on a fixed budget. I paid $1150 for the boat, motor and trailer. The 50 hp mariner runs like a top, though I haven't really given it a load test, as the transom is shot. I'll give it a leak test today. Hopefully it holds water. I live in South Dakota so summer is about gone, and the good fishing starts soon. Trading 1 used trailer for another, is nearly impossible. thanks.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Trailer looks to be an R16 model. Yes it is older than the one I had. Sorry. But still a 1500# capacity and meant for a 16' boat.

There are mounts on the crossmember that hold a bar that the 4 wobble rollers attach to. The brackets look to have 6 holes in them. Then if you take the bar out of the mounts there should be 2 holes in it. One above the other, this is where the bar will piviot front to back. Then on each set there is a bar that hold 2 rollers and if you look at that one you will see 2 holes. That is to move the rollers in or out. Also the holes there are not centered so by taking them off and turning them 180 deg. you can add more adjustment.

Sadly the one you have is older and does not have quite the amount of adjustment that the R16 that I had did. Believe me they are very nice trailers unfortunately that trailer looks to be too small for your 18' boat. Wish I could have been of more help!

arcee1951

Cadet

Thanks, Commander. You confirmed my suspicions. My neighbor has a 17' boat, and his trailer sits lower, and tubing is bigger, along with the crank and hitch. Any idea what this trailer is worth?? Ballpark? Do all 18' boats take the same trailer size, and if you know...how can I tell what trailer will work? Thanks again.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

arcee, if as you say locating another trailer in your area could be difficult then with a little effort and money the one you have could be made to fit.Would require either being a welder or having access to some one that welds.

1st thing you need to do is determine the weight of the boat when it is loaded as it would be while being trailered. As I stated that looks to be a R16 model which is a 1500# capacity. Are you close to being under that? If not then a different trailer is in order. The frame will support that boat but if it is over 1500# I don't think it would be worth while to change the springs and axle.

The Spartan R16 that I bought used I paid $300.00 for but needed to be painted, a new winch and new lights.

When looking for a new/used trailer length and capacity are the main things to look at. Then look at the the way the bunks or rollers are attached and what kind of brackets are used. Most newer trailers are pretty adjustable.

arcee1951

Cadet

Commander, I just retired, so cost is an issue. I bought this boat, motor, trailer, and all other accessories for $1150. I knew it would take a little work, and through the help of a few threads on this site, I have removed the old transom, which may have not made one trip on the water. As you can see, the boat sits a little crooked on the trailer, so it may be tough to do a leak test, but before I go any farther, I think it may be a good idea to test it. The floors and carpet are in good shape, so I'm hoping the hull is strong. If there isn't major leaking, I will go to Menards and pick up the material for the transom. I don't think the boat is under 1500#. I did think about welding new brackets, and may still do it. I hate to do much, as maybe I can find someone to trade, or at least get a little return by selling the old trailer. Thanks.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

arcee after looking over the photos again I don't see a way to easily move those roller bunks to make them fit. You can't move the trucks because the mounts are all welded. The wobble roller axles are already mounted at their widest position and if you rotate them in then that will lower the boat even more to where it looks as if it would hit the wheels.

I don't know what your local market is like but that trailer should be worth a few hundred bucks. At least here where I am at an 18' 2000# trailer would be about an even swap. If you have to broaden your search area, maybe into Minnesota. Watch graigslist. I do daily.

Good luck in your quest for another trailer. Wish I could have been of more help!

bonz

arcee1951

Cadet

Thanks, bonz. I looked at a local dealer's used inventory. They were closed, but found a little 16' fishing boat on a very large trailer. Maybe they would trade. It's worth checking. 1983 MIDI Boat Trailer I don't know if you can copy and paste this, but it's a 1983 Midi trailer that looks like it could work, but there isn't much info. Aberdeen is 100 miles from here. If I bought it, I'd then have 2 trailers.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

arcee that trailer looks pretty serviceable, not much rust and the rollers look to be in good shape. Give them a call and get dimensions. Looks to be long enough as the winch post can be moves forward. There is also much more adjustment on that trailer for the rollers. What You really want to find out is if the boat will fit between the fenders and then a capacity if they know what it is.

Again not knowing your area I would think that the trailer you have should be worth what you will pay for this one. Bretty much a break even change. Only this trailer will fit much better.

arcee1951

Cadet

I checked the 2 local boat dealers, thinking maybe by chance, they had something I couldn't see from their lot. The 1st place had two used trailers, with $700 being the cheapest, but I hit pay dirt at the 2nd.

The 2nd place has 2 used trailers that look like they would work. I'm going back today with a tape measure. The one is over kill, as it had a very large 20 footer on it at one time. The trailer is, supposedly, made for 18-22 footers, possibly 24. It has 2 bad rollers, and they would be $12 each. My concern with this one is that the axle is really bent upwards. Doug said that they had a body shop align the tires that way. The tires look like brand new radials, but I'm thinking that putting my little 18' fishing boat on there may cause it to need alignment back. The trailer also needs a new tail light. $300 buys it and he will see what mine is worth, when I take it down. There is plenty of adjustment, both front to rear and side to side. I had never heard of the make. It would sure take a big piece of my garage.

The 2nd trailer looks more like what I would think my boat should be sitting on. He is asking $300 for that one also. Whoever owned it tightened the rollers too much as they are hard to move up and down and side to side. Doug says he would pack the bearings on both of them, just in case. Both do have bearing buddies. I may have the trailer issue solved.

I don't know too much about what to look for, but there can't be that much. Thanks.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Way to go! If you're not in a hurry see if you could get a couple quick pictures and post them up I'll give ya my 2 cents worth on it. Also you don't want to buy a trailer that is too big either as the springs will be stiffer and it will beat the heck out of your boat.

Next if this is a dealer ask them if they will let you try and fit your boat on it or ask how they think it will fit. Also for $300.00 they are not scalping you and that seems to be a pretty avg. price for a used trailer.

arcee1951

Cadet

Way to go! If you're not in a hurry see if you could get a couple quick pictures and post them up I'll give ya my 2 cents worth on it. Also you don't want to buy a trailer that is too big either as the springs will be stiffer and it will beat the heck out of your boat.

Next if this is a dealer ask them if they will let you try and fit your boat on it or ask how they think it will fit. Also for $300.00 they are not scalping you and that seems to be a pretty avg. price for a used trailer.

I went back yesterday and looked at the trailers a little closer, and took measurements. The big trailer is a Shorlandr, and is way to big a stiff for my little 18 footer. It is missing most of the hitch, and the hitch is a one piece, and not one that is bolted on.

The second trailer is an EZ Loader, and it looks like one that a person could just put a boat on, license and take off. It has brand new 14" radial tires, and everything seems workable. The rope on the winch is a little old. My only concern would be the width between the fenders. It looks to be 74", so I'll have to remeasure the boat. It will be close. If it works, I'll need to look at making a couple of guide ons and a transom saver. I still don't have all the paperwork I need on the trailer. It was just too hot yesterday to be outside.

I posted up a couple of questions on transom rebuilding, and hopefully I can get back to that today, even though this heat wave is supposed to go on until next Monday. Thanks.