1959 10 hp tiller ?

cadams02

Recruit
First off I'm new to the forum and I must say this is a great forum. Tons of info. Well on to my question I have a 1959 evinrude 10 hp and I'm in need of a tiller and a shifter. I was wanting to know what years and motor size will work.

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 1959 10 hp tiller ?

Hi cadams02. Welcome to iboats. Great little old motor you've got there. I had a '61 10hp myself. Thankfully, the QD models were virtually unchaged for many model years, so virtually all of the major parts are interchangeable. I would look online at ebay.com, place a WTB ad on aomci.org, or check other online sources for parts. Some forum member here may even have them. Here are some great links to familiarize yourself with your new toy. You can get any routine parts you may need like carb kits, points & condensers, impellers, etc.... right here at iboats for about $20 each. You'll want to run 24:1 mix along with Champion J4C plugs as well. Also, these vintage motors can't be run out o the water on "muffs", so instead you'll have to use a test tank and fill it with water until the level is about 1"-2" below the main exhaust port on the back of the motor. Good luck. Holler if you get stuck.

Johnson
1959 Johnson QD-20 10 hp Outboard Motor Parts

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

A lot of years will interchange, will depend on whether you want to paint the new parts if you find an off year, keep them off colour, or try to find the parts with original paint on them that match '59.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

As Chris said, many years and models use that same tiller. Just look for the kind that has two halves, split down the middle, lengthwise. OK, within that category are two different kinds of gears on the end of the twist shaft. Early ones had a stamped brass gear, later ones had a cast bronze gear. The gear type must match the gear on the motor side. They are interchangeable only if you also change the matching gear.

EDIT: BTW, the gear style change happened mid-year 1956.

Last edited: