2007 5.7 l won't start-help

HCtiger

Recruit
First post on the board. let me tell you my story and where I'm at in the process. I have a 1995 Cobalt 220 with a 2007 5.7 l volvo penta closed cooling. Boat has been running fine. Took to the dealer to have lower unit serviced and check a slight water leak at manifold/riser connection. Repairs made-serviced lower unit,replaced exhaust manifolds and risers, replaced spark plugs,replaced stiff shift cable. Picked up boat last week and when home engine would not start. Called dealer and was told it ran like a top before pickup. Took back to the dealer and it would not start. Was getting fire,fuel pressure good, replaced distributor cap. Still would not start and when ignition was turned off engine would go in reverse slightly -no water applied here, muffs when I tried starting at home. Worried about hydrolock. Dealer still has boat. Please any advice as to what should be done. Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2007 5.7 l won't start-help

Water in fuel? If the engine turns over it is not hydrolocked.

Replaced shift cable often equals a neutral safety switch that requires some adjustment, but on many boats, it will not even crank if this is the problem. I would look at what has changed since it ran last, and you will probably find the problem. Clarification: It ran last when you WITNESSED it running last.

Volphin

Lieutenant

I agree with Thunderchicken, but it is the shift interrupt switch adjustment. Oh, and never EVER start a boat without a water supply. You can burn out your water pump in a few seconds.