Problems Throttling Up

Free?Boat

Seaman Apprentice
Hello Gang, I have a 72 Grew SS195XL. The engine is a GM inline 6 165HP. It starts first turn of the key each time and performs beautifully on plane. When I throttle up, I have do it VERY slowly at first or the engine backfires and dies, once over around 2500 rpm I can hammer it. I rebuilt the carb at the end of last season and it has fixed the problem of bogging down at WOT. Could this problem I have now be caused by something I missed in the rebuild at it was my first time? Any other ideas?
Thanks

Free?Boat

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Problems Throttling Up

I should have told you it is a Rochester two barrel.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

that's typical of a weak accelerator pump. On some Rochesters, there are two choices for the hole the accel pump arm link goes in - the one nearer the fulcrum point gives a bigger squirt of gas during acceleration.

SeaTea

Cadet

How is the ignition timing? Get the static and full advance numbers and make sure you are getting there, it could be the distributor is worn or gunky.

cr2k

Captain

Most likely time for a carb overhaul.

Artwerke

Seaman Apprentice

When I rebuilt my Rochester 2 bbl the accelerator pump cup got folded causing a nearly identical problem. It would give a less than adaquit shot of fuel on acceleration. removed the top of the carb & very carefully assembled the accelerator pump. problem solved.