Impeller Maybe?

04select2000

Seaman Apprentice
Howdy All!

I have a Sea Ray 270 SLX with a 496 and Bravo 3 in it. After a couple of long runs this weekend I would slow down and the temp would raise an alarm would go off. If I would get the rpms back up the boat would cool back down to 150 or so. Does this sound like a bad impeller? I changed mine out in my old 200 and it was in the alpha one drive. I assume this one is on the block. How tough is it to do? Can I do it on the water?

thanks in advance!

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Impeller Maybe?

That would be the first thing I would do, do it soon. Bravos impellers tend to come apart and start clogging thermostats, coolers etc, Make sure that you find all of the pieces if it in fact came apart. Check the cup for wear since they are plastic I usually order and replace it too. fairly easy as long as you find all the pieces.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Sounds like the impeller,it cant flow enough water when at lower rpm's. it should have the seawater pump by the front of the motor.
It can be changed while in the water,but you need to plug the intake line when ya remove it,it'll let alot of water in very quickly when ya remove it.
So be shure to pay attonsion to hose hoopkup's as reinstalling backwards results in no flow! For a first timer,I would pull it from the lake,and do it. Check the sticky's above,it should explain it much better than I just did. Good luck!
Grub

04select2000

Seaman Apprentice

OK, I will pull it out and try to change it. So do I need to replace anything other than just the impeller while I am in there?

04select2000

Seaman Apprentice

Has anyone ever done this on a Sea Ray 270 SLX? Is it pretty easy to get too?

Bondo

Staff member

Has anyone ever done this on a Sea Ray 270 SLX? Is it pretty easy to get too?

Nope,... Probably can't see it, 'n maybe not even Touch it,...

Usually you have to remove a considerable amount of Boat, to get anywhere near the Motor,...

Dependin' on what ya find, After you take the pump apart,...
Ya might get by with Just the impeller, 'n gaskets, or possibly the casin's are scored, 'n you'll need more parts,...
Ya won't know til ya get there,...

Btw,... pay extra special attention to which Hose goes where on the pump,...
It won't work if they're backwards, 'n that's Easy to do,...

BIGALF

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just got my BRAVOIII water pump and housing for $86. It's always good to replace both the housing and impeller. A good mechanic can replace and flush hose in about 2 hours. If it's your first time it will take most of the day. Remember to put the impeller in the proper position with rotation of the belt at the pump.
It's a poor design because it is above the water line of the boat and sits dry and when you start it with no water in the pump it burns the impeller.