2006 F250 needs new bearings

robaloroger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was in the Keys last week and on the way in I heard what sounded like some grinding in the powerhead, so I just limped back in. I took the motor to have diagnostics ran. The tech said I was on the verge of disaster and I would need new bearings. The motor has less then 800 hours. I am considering tearing it down and doing it myself. I am no tech but I am very good at working on a lot of different motors. I planned on getting a Yamaha service manual and taking a lot of pics as I go, so I don't skip anything on reassembly. I would love to have a tech tackle it but I don't have the $$ to dish out. Would I be making a horrible mistake and are there any special tools needed for the job. Would the parts consist of all new bearings, rings and gaskets assuming there is no other damage? Thanks in advanced

robert graham

Admiral
Re: 2006 F250 needs new bearings

I'd be double-checking for other possible sources of the "grinding" in the power head before tearing it apart....like maybe a 2nd opinion from another experienced Yamaha technician?.....I mean, there may be something else a lot simpler and less expensive causing the sound....

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What Robert said ^^^.

robaloroger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After reading your responses I decided to check into it a little before starting to tear things down. Compression seemed fine. I ran the motor on the hose for a minute when I started hearing the noise again. It was much louder and sounded like it was coming from the midsection. I guess when the motor is in the water and you are on the boat it sounds like it comes from the powerhead. I dropped the LU and the driveshaft looked fine. I started the motor again and the noise is gone. I only put the motor to 5000 rpms and it sounded as strong as ever. I am assuming I have a LU problem. I will tear it down and see what it looks like. I will post again when I find something out. Thanks again guys. I think this Yamaha tech wanted to get into my pockets. I love this forum.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

check the lower unit lube to see what it looks like.

does this motor have the drive shaft bushing in mid section? might look for that

See if shaft slines are in good shape and shaft has not sheared off in power head