1977 Mercury 7.5HP questions

artesian

Cadet
Picked this up at an estate sale today and had some questions. I got the it running after cleaning the carbs and it runs pretty smooth. So here is where my newbiesness to this motor comes in

1. The gas tank he gave me with the connector is nothing like I've seen. Weird looking slotted thing that does't really snap on well. So to get things going I used a temp connector. Question is the stock connector does it snap it or just snuggly go onto the nipple?
2. The water flow is neither weak nor very strong. I'd like to change the impeller but the diagrams don't tell me how to drop the lower. I see one nut near the prop but was unable to disengage the bottom. While in there I was going to change the oil too.

Any general tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated. hoping the finally go crabbing this year after my foray with a sears gmae fisher went very bad earlier this year

artesian

Cadet
Re: 1977 Mercury 7.5HP questions

Drained oil out of lower today and looks kind of milky which I know means water got it. My question is what seals would anyone recommend changing? I will assume that if the prop seal was blown there would be no oil so could it be just the washers around the drain and vent screws?

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

A manual that covers your motor can be bought here on Iboats or at a outboard dealer. It will give you all the info as how to replace the water pump or just the impeller. As for the bayonet connection to the fuel tank and motor, all you have to do is line up the slots and pins and push in and turn the connector 90 degrees and release it. It should push the connection back out some and lock it into place as it is spring loaded. JMO
Oldman570

artesian

Cadet

A manual that covers your motor can be bought here on Iboats or at a outboard dealer. It will give you all the info as how to replace the water pump or just the impeller. As for the bayonet connection to the fuel tank and motor, all you have to do is line up the slots and pins and push in and turn the connector 90 degrees and release it. It should push the connection back out some and lock it into place as it is spring loaded. JMO
Oldman570
I can't get it to turn the 90. (time for the WD40) I put a temp nipple on for a chrysler to get things running. Local boat dealer had a slew of parts in stock for me. So replaced the washers on the drain fill screws on the lower and will drop the lower to get to the impeller. Hoping the christen the motor this weekend