land sick ?

Taxus812

Petty Officer 2nd Class
:blue:

Ok its been a little over two weeks with my first boat. I have been on it a lot fishing and such
(it is moored out back). The last two days after boating, I have been feeling the world moving AND ROCKING AND SPINNING AND HEAVING ::faint2:. It seem to be getting progressively worse. Today it was so bad when I stopped to take a lunch break I had to just button up the boat for the night and call it a day.

does this go away or do I need to get used to it for the boating season ? (I feel fine on the water by the way :) )

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: land sick ?

I have had a hard time walking on land, for a few minutes, after being out in heavy swells.

Maybe you should be looking for a houseboat. :)

NYBo

Admiral

If this has suddenly gotten worse and the water conditions have been the same, get yourself checked out by a doctor, pronto.

Taxus812

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm inland in a 240 Acre lake so the conditions really don't change. Cant say it suddenly got worse either since I have only been boating for two weeks (about 6 days of actual boating, 3 were this weekend). I honestly feel like i'm still on the water while sitting still in a chair (I can feel the waves lifting , twisting and rocking etc.). If I get up it goes away.

So I take it other DONT feel like that after a full couple of days on the water.

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral

Oh, I always feel like I'm still rocking on the water, but it isn't debilitating, and it goes away completely in an hour or so.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Here is a simple trick I use, only take out a six pack of beer instead of a half case. :laugh:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Possibly made worse by a little dehydration?

Or a mild inner ear infection starting?

Taxus812

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am recovering from a summer cold and my head is really stuffy. Lets hope that is it. The other thing is really scary (not the drinking less :) ).

I assumed it was because I am not used to it boating and was common. Kinda like getting your sea legs. I also hoped the effects would last shorter amounts of time.

SWD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Never had an issue. Been on the lake for 21/2 weeks, even sleep on the boat unless the wife says to come in from "playing". Could be inner ear infection. Get it checked out.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I usually feel it when I go to bed after a day boating when there's some waves, but not a couple days. After a day on a sailboat I feel like the bed is healing over.

I suspect your head cold has something to do with it or you are sensitive.

There's water in your ear that works like the bubble in a level to tell you when you are leaning. Being in motion on a boat makes it slosh around in there. When you get home and get still, the nerve endings in there are still jangling.

82rude

Rear Admiral

the boating part may be a not your problem atall.get checked by a doctor.i had similar symptoms though I was not boating and my blood pressure was very low!its not called the silent killer for nothing!trying to diagnose a medical problem on line can kill you.no offence to the people here atall but see a doctor you only have one life my friend.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

For me after a long day on bigger lakes (we live on Lake Huron) I will get a little wave action swaying after, when standing in the shower or any enclosed area. It usually on last's a few hours after I've been boating. Each of us are a little different, I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless it continues well past. The cold is most likely causing this to be more noticeable, and perhaps lingering a bit longer than normal. Just part of boating IMO.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Sick on land but OK on the water?

Get a doctor's note stating that you must spend all your time on a boat. Call it "Medical Marina."

Splat

Lieutenant

I occasionally have a issue after being in a Rocky boat for a few hours and i steep back on solid ground. But it only lasts for a few minutes. Sometimes maybe an hour.

I remember when I first started boating I used to get the feeling when I would lay down in bed after a long day, but I haven't had that in years now.

ScottG76

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My last time out this happened to me, but it was hardly noticable the 2nd day. I would say it's you getting your sealegs and not being able to let go. And a sixer instead of a 12 pack may help, lol.

Taxus812

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For me after a long day on bigger lakes (we live on Lake Huron) I will get a little wave action swaying after, when standing in the shower or any enclosed area. It usually on last's a few hours after I've been boating. Each of us are a little different, I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless it continues well past. The cold is most likely causing this to be more noticeable, and perhaps lingering a bit longer than normal. Just part of boating IMO.

It is just about gone today. I only notice it now when I'm staring at the computer screen now once in a while. Im still making a doctors appt because this cold has been hanging around for far to long :)

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I don't have any idea if it lasts more then a few hours, I do know how bad it can be though, Couple years ago me and my daughter were in 4'-5' waves at lake Powell for a couple hours, when I got back to the ramp I jumped on to the dock took two steps and fell into the water head first LOL

Rentaltux

Seaman

I experienced the exact same thing this weekend. I was boating off and on all last week. It wasn't major but def. rocking while staring at computer or reading and sitting still. It lasted about 2 days and is gone today. I have had it happen before but usually only last an hour or so.

R

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

I've had a day out in 12 foot seas result in me feeling like I'm still rocking and rolling that night on dry land when I lay down. It was OK standing but nauseating laying down. It was gone in the morning after I finally went to sleep. And alcohol was not a factor, for all the Wisenheimers here.