87 force 125 started to die on full trottle after a few minutes

kawiman20

Cadet
My boat works fine right off the start but after a while it starts to loose power and I have to come off the trottle or it will bog, if I let it idle on neutral for a bit and hit it in gear full trottle it's fine for a few seconds then starts to die out.. I can shut it off or idle it and retry and it's good again.
As far as I know carbs are set correct, runs fine out of the hole just once it's starting to reach top speed it acts up'

Please help !

thelmuth

Cadet
Re: 87 force 125 started to die on full trottle after a few minutes

Have someone pump the squeeze bulb while it is acting up to see if this helps the running. If it does you are looking at a fuel supply issue, pump, clogged filter, etc. I have had very similar problems and it was the filter clogging up.

kawiman20

Cadet

I got someone to squeeze the ball and almost immediately you could hear the motor kicking back in, gave it a couple extra pumps and it worked fine at all speeds. Shut it off and back on and it was the same problem, and same solution. Could it be the diaphragms getting weak in the pump?

foodfisher

Captain

Yes it could be. Could also be plugged quick connects, delaminating fuel line interiors, plugged fuel filters. Check it all between the primer bulb and the carbs.

Last edited:

Jiggz

Captain

In addition, it could also be the fuel tank vent. Anyways, start by testing or using an external tank with new fuel lines and primer bulb and that will narrow the possible causes.