Trolling Motor Recommendation?

JoeW80

Cadet
Hi all,

I am trying to determine the type of trolling motor that will work best for my boat.

I have a 20 ft center console C-Hawk:

http://images.boatsandstuff.com/nlarge/2012-c-hawk-20-center-console-hull-for-10995_21426240.jpg and C-Hawk 200 Center Console - Specifications.jpg

I'd prefer bow mount, but my boat has a bow rail.

I've seen advertised engine mounts, but I'm concerned with reducing gas mileage, ability to plane at lower speeds, and perhaps most importantly the fact that the engine must be down to use the trolling motor.

I'm thinking the transom is probably the better location, but I'm not sure how much room is required for mounting and usage. For example, will the mounting bracket hit the storage box, when not in use will it block access to the storage box?

I don't need to go too fast. I just want to control my drift and navigate in back bays for fishing in shallow areas (salt-water). At most, I'd like to be able to go against 1mph currents with light wind.

I keep my boat at a marina, and theft could be a concern if it is easily removable.

Any suggestions on a specific trolling motor? Best mounting options? Minimum thrust? Recommendations for determining these answers instead of trial and error? Thanks!

bassman284

Commander
Re: Trolling Motor Recommendation?

Hi Joe. The question of bow mount trolling motor with a bow rali comes up from time to time and there have been some creative solutions presented. Short answer, bow mount is very doable and, im my opinion, the preferable solution from a control and usability standpoint, even though it will be more expensive.

Here is a link to a fairly recent thread where not one, but TWO solutions are presented - one involves cutting a small section out of the rail and the other had a rail high enough that he was able to deploy a Minn Kota PowerDrive underneath the rail. I really couldn't tell from the pic if your rail is high enough for that one. The good thing is that the thread is from a month and a half ago so there's a good chance the posters are still around so you could PM them with questions if need be.

Here ya go. Let us know how it turns out.

Bow mount w/ rail

Here's a somewhat older thread where a guy has a couple of pictures of a mount that goes ABOVE the bow rail: (He hasn't posted since 2010 so probably not coming back)

Above rail

Hey bud, where there's a will, there's a way.

Last edited: