Plastic 4.3 valve covers

cliffblue

Petty Officer 1st Class
Are all 4.3L Vortec valve covers the same? I spent 3 days on lake Ouchacita in Arkansas with the family. While one day trips to the lake was not a problem, three days on this really nice lake shows that the small leaks will be a problem. Mine are cracked. Looking on eBay for replacements. Thanks, Cliff

P.S. I think I just found these valve covers in metal, not plastic. Are these a better option?

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Plastic 4.3 valve covers

I have always prefered metal over plastic or composite. The 4.3 is a 4.3

Volphin

Lieutenant

Should be switchable, but take note of the differences between the two before you decide,

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...bnbr=130&bdesc=CYLINDER+HEAD+AND+ROCKER+COVER

A word of caution here. The metal ones from non Vortec heads do not fit Vortec heads without modification. Best to stick with the composite ones. You could go Aluminum, but that requires a little tweaking to the metal as well, along with clearancing for the exhaust manifolds. The composite ones can be found at any boneyard with 4.3L chevy Vortec engines for 10 bucks.

Last edited:

Fun Times

Staff member

A word of caution here. The metal ones from non Vortec heads do not fit Vortec heads without modification. Best to stick with the composite ones. You could go Aluminum, but that requires a little tweaking to the metal as well, along with clearancing for the exhaust manifolds. The composite ones can be found at any boneyard with 4.3L chevy Vortec engines for 10 bucks.
Thank you.:)