Liquid in engine Compartment: New Boat Owner and I am Clueless

brandonstephens

Recruit
New user and boater here with 1988 Searay with Mercruiser 3.8.
It starts and runs. I bought it (my first boat) in May and I took it out a few times and all was fine. I recently took it out and it died and wouldn't come back.
I did hook it up to a water hose via a flusher today, made some adjustments to the idle mixture and it is back to starting and running.
I never noticed before but I have liquid of some kind, spewing into the engine via these PVC pipes that come from each side of the engine block. It is quite a bit, gassy smell. Is this normal, or is this a cut line of some kind?
I will post a few pics. One is with the flame arrestor/air filter looking thing and the rest are closeups. In one you can see the liquid on the engine block, but much more spews all over and down into the bilge pump area. If anyone can tell me what these tubes are and what they're for, awesome, and if they need fixing or if something else needs work as well.
Thanks a bunch.
Advice?
IMG_3457.JPGIMG_3460.JPGIMG_3461.JPGIMG_3462.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3457.jpg
    IMG_3457.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Liquid in engine Compartment: New Boat Owner and I am Clueless

My eyes are not quite what they use to be but I can not make out from your pics what I'm looking at in regard to liquid. Is the liquid, black, brown, white or something else?

77GlastronMT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Liquid in engine Compartment: New Boat Owner and I am Clueless

Are you talking about the corrugated type hoses about 3/4" diameter? If so they look to be crankcase breather hoses and should be connected to the bottom plate of your air cleaner/filter. That being said, there also shouldn't be a lot of liquid coming out of them. Good luck!