Rowing vs paddling

joemac356

Cadet
I've been out on my Seahawk 2 on three different lakes on four trips.
I've logged about twelve hours total, although much of that time has been spent drifting. I like to drift.

Several days ago, my maiden solo voyage had me battling some very stiff constant wind. It was work, to keep from being blown down towards the dam, where I didn't want to go.
I found a 'finger' of the lake that was bordered heavily by tall trees that blocked most of that wind. It was relatively calm compared to the main portion of the lake.

I have yet to see anyone else rowing.
I've seen mostly kayaks and fishing boats with trolling motors, since they don't permit anything other than electrics.
I'm reluctant to get a motor for my little inflatable. I bought this boat with packing it onto the motorcycle in mind. A motor and battery would complicate things. I like simple.
Anything with a motor requires registration with the Commonwealth of Pennsyltuckee which is another added expense and inconvenience.

I've been watching the kayakers and I like the idea of not wasting motion in the strokes that provide propulsion.
Would a kayak paddle work with my inflatable?
Do they make kayak paddles that break down into two foot lengths or shorter?
Between controlling the motorcycle (two hours each way, yesterday) and rowing, these old arms are feeling it.

Last edited:

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Rowing vs paddling

Inflatables are very affected by the wind and do not coast well between oar strokes. Yes, you can buy sectional kayak paddles which break down into four sections if you want to try that.

Maybe an inflatable kayak would be better suited for your needs.

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

+1 sounds like a kayak will fit you better....what else do you do in you boat? Fish or anything other than paddle around? Do you have the green or gray? 2 or II?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Inflatables have a huge bottom drag, were not desiged to be rowed, just motored. Will end being tired in very short distances at very slow speed. A kayak is way better for your intended recreational purposes.

Happy Boating

joemac356

Cadet

Thanks, but a kayak is out of my price range and it won't fit on my bike.
I don't want to go fast on the water. I just was wondering how I would fair using the kayak paddle.
Maybe I can borrow one to try.

Mine is the Seahawk 2. I think they only come in green. Seattle Seahawk green.

mansters

Cadet

Have you look into adding some Skeg's to you're boat? might help you with the winds
and what size oars do you have?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Back to the original question Rowing Vs Paddling,

Solo boating on a inflatable wich has huge bottom drag rowing with 2 glued oar lock system on tubes would be far better than doing same paddling. Will row farther with less fatigue. To paddle a wide inflatable is a PITA, not to mention going sideways on each paddle stroke, add wind and currents and you'll probably going nowhere. Mayday, call for help!! Better get the widest paddle you can buy.

Happy Boating

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Joe, paddling is less efficient than rowing. The people you've observed aren't having an easier time because they're paddling. They're having an easier time because of the hull design of a kayak vs the "hull" design of a raft. Also, it would take a tree trunk of a double bladed paddle to work with a raft because there's so much more drag and you're so much farther from the surface than you would be in a kayak. I'd suggest either finding a way to transport a small trolling motor and battery or switching to a cheap inflatable kayak. I see them on CL all the time for fifty bucks including a paddle. That's in Arkansas, but I can't imagine it being any different where you are. Good luck.

joemac356

Cadet

Thanks all, some things to think about.
I'm off to the hardware store (on my bike) to see about adding a coupling and threading the tops of the oars to join them together, to try out as a double-ended paddle. It's easily reversible, should it not work out.

I really don't want to resort to a motor, for the above reasons, and that I like the exercise. I just have to get used to it, or find that the double paddle works. Options are good.