2005, 60 Hp, TLRD: under load cannot get more than 2000 RPM

astampfel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just cleaned my carbs and re-installed, but I am still only getting 2000 RPM in forward. In neutral, I can momentarily rev the engine up to 4000, but under load I cannot get more than 2000 RPM. The engine is idling rough also. Should I try to clean the carbs again? I didn't use a rebuild kit, but when I put it back together, nothing leaked. The needle valve and float looked good, and the needle valve ran up and down smoothly when I lifted the float.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: 2005, 60 Hp, TLRD: under load cannot get more than 2000 RPM

Sounds like you're losing power on at least one cylinder....check your spark plugs for any indication of weak cylinder. Check your fuel pump for hole in diaphragm....

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

the needle and seat are not the only thing that needs to be clean,
all jets and passages need it also.
and the carbs need to be link and synced like manual steps call for after reinstalling the carbs every time.

Might want to start with basics and do compression, spark, and timing testing , then if all that is good then work on the fuel issue.
and test alarm system to make sure it is working as safe mode will limit RPM to about 2K and if buzzer is not sounding like it should you would not know it unless you have gauges to tell you it was

Last edited:

astampfel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all your help! I bought a new charge coil, but that wasn't the problem. When I removed the flywheel to install the charge coil, I noticed that one of the charge coil wires was 1/2 way worn through, exposing the wire but not totally cutting it in half. So, it seems like the charge coil was send power, but most of it was being grounded to the flywheel, ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I patched up the wire and rerouted it so it wouldn't rub on the flywheel and my engine runs good now. All cylinders fire. I'm so upset!!!!!!!!!!!!!!