Exhaust bellows!!!!

Renken89

Seaman Apprentice
Have recently replaced exhaust bellows on my mercruiser. The slipped off after an installation that took the better part of an entire day trying to do it without the grossly over priced tool that I will use once in ten years. Plan on replacing with the bellows alternative that only connect when the drive is down. My question is until I purchase that part can I operate my boat and out drive with the rubber bellows connect only at the exhaust port and not to the out drive? Wanna take her out for a spin today if I'm lucky.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: Exhaust bellows!!!!

I know lots of people do not hook them up. Some Merc guys will be along and set you straight.

PS If you have a Renken I know the family that build it.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Bravo drives like mine on the 7.4 use only the exhaust tube and I replaced with the tube the exhaust bellows on the 4.3 alpha1 g2 on my Maxum before I sold that last year.

You can run without the exhaust bellows installed at all especially for 1 outing so I personally would just pull it off altogether right now instead of leaving half not attached to possibly get in the way being loose.

Mark

Dinows

Seaman

Just did mine yesterday, spent a good 5 hours and they slipped off after I raised the motor, horrible design. now for what it is worth I have driven the boat salt water with the old bellows cut in half for 3 years and there is no problem. Dont know y in gods name I even decided to change them, probably because I had the lower unit off. You are fine

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Never had one slip off, but, nope, really don't need it if you want to take it off all together. You can go bellows, tube or nothing at all. Have seen some tests where the bellows actually helps exhaust gas extraction from the engine at higher speeds, due to the venturi action at the prop actually pulling the exhaust from the engine / manifolds. Your results may vary.

I put tube on my 454 and 1st time out, Admiral complained about the noise. (Thank heavens I didn't install thru hulls....) Soooo, bellows went back on and been on ever since.

Downside: Will be louder when on plane and drive is trimmed out and, depending on hull design, may get some exhaust smell at stern and may get some exhaust residue on drive unit and transom.

Upside: If you are into it, will be louder on plane. Sooooo much easier.

Last edited:

Renken89

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the advice fellas. Will probably try to replace with the tube that was referenced above. I like that idea. Get the same results minus the
Pain in the butt of connecting both sides.