85hp Force Trim leaking

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey RRitt or anybody.

I have a 1988 85hp Force with a trim issue. I keep running out of fluid, and it seems like it is squirting out from around the large ram of the trim piston. When it is full of fluid, the motor goes up/down just fine and seems to hold fine in the up position. Couple of questions....

1.) I am assuming that there is an o-ring or something inside that needs to be replaced?
2.) Is this a special order item or available at most hardware stores?
3.) What am I getting into if I disassemble this component? Are there all kinds of parts that are going to fall out :(

One other thing that I noticed.... several pictures that I have seen, the trim ram seems to have a rubber gasket on the outside, around the ram... mine doesn't have this. Is this an issue.

Also... are the screw/plugs available where you fill the fluid on the t/t motor housing?

Thanks for you help.

Geeco

RRitt

Captain
Re: 85hp Force Trim leaking

your trim ram might be broken beyond repair. the centering ring is not available. the cap is not available. therefore if the centering ring is missing you need to acquire a replacement trim cylinder. post a picture and you can get better help.

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here are a couple of pics. What material is the centering ring and cap made of?P1060327-1.jpgP1060328-1.jpg

RRitt

Captain

you need a new cap. the centering ring/scraper is flat bronze spiral (kind of like a keyring). it is held in place with a rubber seat. a 1/8" thick aluminum washer is then stamped into place to hold the rubber/bronze assembly in place. Without it your cap will leak a little. The piston shaft will not be held true and center. The piston will eventually jam inside the cylinder ruining the sleeve. Best thing to do is watch ebay and craigslist for used parts.

Last edited: